A thank you for OpenMW!

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
DanielCoffey

A thank you for OpenMW!

Post by DanielCoffey »

I would like to give a huge thanks to the OpenMW team - those currently working on the project as well as those who have helped get it this far.

I last played unmodded MW briefly when it was new (back in the days when we were on dial-up) and never completed the game at that time. I think I was overwhelmed by it and just didn't "get" it. In my defense I think I got swallowed up by Bane of the Cosmic Forge and the other M&M games instead.

Anyway, I recently picked it up on Steam Sale and it has been sitting in my Library waiting for an opportunity to be played. I read a few guides, tried applying all the usual MPP, 4Gb, MGE, MWSE and so on and then got confused at the point of choosing mods. I spotted the MGSO bundle and gave it a go but found the modded game to be rather unstable. Even in Seyda Neen it would regularly crash and eat my saves even after only a little playing.

I looked for some guidance and spotted references to OpenMW and saw the latest news release about the new OSG fork and I was bowled away by the ease of installation. Since I was starting a MW playthrough from scratch I figured replacing the engine from scratch at the same time was an excellent idea! I am aware that the current OSG fork is missing a few features but understand that they will hopefully come along in the foreseeable future.

The performance you folks have got out of the new engine is amazing - with Vsync off I am seeing frame rates in interiors of 500fps even at 2560x1440 with 2xAA. In the menus it is topping 1200fps. Outdoors is around 180fps in quiet areas. Vsync is definitely appreciated!

Anyway - huge thanks for the work on the engine so far and I look forward to following the project and its updates.