Oblivion

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
ezze

Oblivion

Post by ezze »

In a whim I bought Oblivion 5th anniversary edition. Do anyone played the next elder scroll? Any suggestion to enjoy it?
SquireNed

Re: Oblivion

Post by SquireNed »

Get an unleveling mod. I love it that way.
ezze

Post by ezze »

I was thinking to start with "Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul" and "Francesco's Leveled Creatures and Items" to solve the -world will level you with you-- issue.

Does anyone know a level-up system mod? Possibly similar to my yalsm in concept?
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

Oblivion gets a lot of flak for not being Morrowind, but it does RPGs pretty well. The quests are very interesting (There's a quest in Skingrad that has an elf that thinks he's being followed around, for example). Guilds are stories told in acts. I like the Mages Guild story, and apparently the Dark Brotherhood is good too, but I haven't finished that one myself. Generally, the world of Oblivion holds up better than Skyrim - but that's low-hanging fruit.

With the following mods it becomes a genuinely great experience:

Crowded Roads Revisited - Spawns various NPCs with outfit and everything to travel from town to town.

Unique Landscapes - Gives a good portion of Cyrodiil an overhaul and makes the landscape more interesting.

Open Cities Reborn - Redesigns the cities and puts them in the worldspace.

Crowded Cities for Open Cities Reborn - Adds NPCs to the open cities so it feels busier.

Dynamic Map - Detects mods such as Open Cities Reborn and Unique Landscapes and fixes your in-game map appropriately.

Alternative Start: Arrive By Ship - So you don't have to go through the long and arduous tutorial.

Better Dungeons - Replaces many of the original dungeons.

Fransesco's Creatures and Items - Adds a whole bunch of new gear and monsters to the world.

Realistic Fatigue - Caps your fatigue as you carry more stuff and/or lose health. Zero fatigue means you'll fall down. Low fatigue also gives you a small change to trip and fall and watching your hero ragdoll off a tall cliff is kinda funny.

Realistic Leveling - Overhauls the leveling system, which is probably what you want. Also very configurable.

DarNified UI - Makes the UI more PC-friendly. More information on-screen and stuff. Pretty configurable through an in-game tab.

Don't forget to apply the unofficial patches.
ezze

Post by ezze »

I cannot find --Crowded Cities for Open Cities Reborn--... I downloaded the rest however.

Besides... Okulo, you do not mention Oscuro Overhaul. Did you try it?
Sslaxx

Post by Sslaxx »

You may also want the Oblivion Character Overhaul - http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/44676/?
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

ezze wrote:I cannot find --Crowded Cities for Open Cities Reborn--... I downloaded the rest however.
http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/36736/

There you go.
ezze wrote:Besides... Okulo, you do not mention Oscuro Overhaul. Did you try it?
Then I'd have to muck around with FCOM, which I did a couple of years ago and that gave me a total headache. I then settled for just MMM.
Sslaxx wrote:You may also want the Oblivion Character Overhaul - http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/44676
Damn! That actually doesn't look half bad! ...what's the catch?
ezze

Post by ezze »

Ok, my first experience was suboptimal... The game is very bright, realistic leveling complained about a missing ini file, some fonts were almost unreadable and the world was plenty of missing assets markers... oh, the game crashed after a little while. I guess I will try again.
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

Might wanna turn off HDR if you have it on. This was when HDR was new and really, really cool. Also, are you using Wrye Bash to install everything?
ezze

Post by ezze »

Disable HDR, I will try.

I used wrye bash, yes. But I am quite confused, wrye bash installs mods made from BAIN and it uses a directory called mopy and there are omod files, someone mentions a nnn... some mods have a "wizards" other have a "install" and there is plenty of other unexplained actions... AAAHHH