Oblivion

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
Okulo

Re: Oblivion

Post by Okulo »

This might not have to do with anything, but some mods have wizards and with some other mods you need to manually check/uncheck the parts you want to install... you are aware of that, aren't you? Just checking...
ezze

Post by ezze »

I am aware, yes :D

However, I still think it is not a problem in my (between chair and keyboard) side. I installed Open Cities using Wrye Bash Wizard of it and still some of the meshes that are in .7z file are not installed. I now tried installing the two mods that gave problems manually.... lets see...

It is incredible how with this elder scroll games (morrowind/oblivion) I pass much more time playing around with mods that actually playing :S
SquireNed

Post by SquireNed »

I always found that my best experiences with Oblivion modding came from installing mods by hand. I've never had luck with installers and mod managers for Oblivion, though they've worked fine for FO3/NV/Skyrim for me.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Mod Managers for Oblivion are a must for anyone doing moderate to heavy modding, IMO, but it does still require an eye for improperly packaged mods. A number of mods weren't packaged in a way that Wrye Bash likes (particularly early ones, or those that provided multiple sub-packs/modules, as BAIN wasn't fleshed out until later), and so may not see any or all of the necessary content files. Wrye Bash at least lets you see a package's statistics, though... how many files it has, how many are/will be installed, what ones it skips, which are overridden by another mod, etc. So if you see it's not handling a mod correctly, you can repackage it to make it work (and since it uses 7z, zip, and rar, it's simple to do with native tools, unlike OBMM).
ezze

Post by ezze »

Now Oblivion crashes on start with a 0 pointer reference error :S

Ok, now I reinstall in a new zfs partition (case insensitive) and I take a snapshot at various phases! So I can always revert to a previous state without problems... I am a PhD student of computer science even when playing ;)

Code: Select all

$ sudo zfs list -t all | grep oblivion
ztank/oblivion                    5.93G   704G  5.73G  /home/ezze/games/Oblivion
ztank/oblivion@vanilla             205M      -  4.43G  -
ztank/oblivion@shiveringisles      496K      -  5.36G  -
ztank/oblivion@unofficialpatches   104K      -  5.73G  -
Good :)
wheybags

Post by wheybags »

Chris wrote:Mod Managers for Oblivion are a must for anyone doing moderate to heavy modding, IMO, but it does still require an eye for improperly packaged mods. A number of mods weren't packaged in a way that Wrye Bash likes (particularly early ones, or those that provided multiple sub-packs/modules, as BAIN wasn't fleshed out until later), and so may not see any or all of the necessary content files. Wrye Bash at least lets you see a package's statistics, though... how many files it has, how many are/will be installed, what ones it skips, which are overridden by another mod, etc. So if you see it's not handling a mod correctly, you can repackage it to make it work (and since it uses 7z, zip, and rar, it's simple to do with native tools, unlike OBMM).
99% sure an omod is just a 7z archive with a custom extension...
Chris

Post by Chris »

wheybags wrote:99% sure an omod is just a 7z archive with a custom extension...
Technically speaking, yes, but the way files are stored in it makes it difficult to do anything with. The archive contains some files for metadata, and the actual content files are packed in a separate 'data' file in the archive (at least, that's how I remember seeing it when I tried to look in an omod package).
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

What blows me away is that I'm usually the one fucking around with shit like this for weeks while everyone else has already figured it out. This time around it seems like I'm the only one to whom this all looks very straight-forwad, who has never had any problems he couldn't fix after a quick search on the Interwebs. Life is crazy like that sometimes.
ezze

Post by ezze »

Ahahah, world is weird... isn't it?

Anyhow, you'd probably be happy to know that now I fixed everything and it works fine. Thanks to you also :)

Did you try the cobl mod?
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

Yeah, it's part of my modlist but only as a library for other mods to use. I didn't add anything like that new race or something.