SWIT

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
skullgrid

SWIT

Post by skullgrid »

This is a project I would like to present. It will be unaffiliated to OpenMW but it's my hope that both projects will benefit each other. This is not an attempt at reducing this community's workload; if you think you can do a better job than me by all means do so. Suggestions are encouraged.

It stands for SWIT Will Install That. I think the recursive acronym and the Morrowind reference make a nice combo.

The idea is to provide a command line tool (GUI frontends can come later) for the installation and management of mods. It will mimick the popular package managers often bundled with major Linux distributions while providing features necessary for this particular use. This tool will be available on Linux, FreeBSD, OS X and Windows although it might integrate poorly in the latter.

The Go language will be used for the following reasons:
  • No platform-dependent code/easy cross compiling
  • Standard libs that do absolutely everything I could require of them
  • Easy concurrency
  • And of course, I just like it a lot
Here are the planned features:
  • Fetch and unpack mods from multiple repositories
  • Manage mods, index files
  • Resolve conflicts by backing up and swapping files rather than overwriting
  • Offer a limited amount of scripting so that install scripts can be written for mods that can't be repackaged
And the big maybes:
  • GUI front-end
  • By extension, visualization tools that let the user decide which textures/models/tetc they want by comparison
  • Game-specific tools (detecting conflicts/optimizing load orders for OpenMW, for example)
These are, as you might have guessed, subject to change. A github link will be available once a decent amount of work has been accomplished.
Zedd

Re: SWIT

Post by Zedd »

Good luck to you!
heilkitty

Post by heilkitty »

Will it support muptiple installation destinations (in case of OpenMW, multiple "Data Files" directories) in user's home dir?
and the Morrowind reference
Lolz.
skullgrid

Post by skullgrid »

heilkitty wrote:Will it support muptiple installation destinations (in case of OpenMW, multiple "Data Files" directories) in user's home dir?
and the Morrowind reference
Lolz.
There will be a configuration file with a category for every game. You'd have, say, [main] for the application settings, [morrowind], [morrowind2], [starbound], etc.