New Skywind trailer

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
PeterBitt

Re: New Skywind trailer

Post by PeterBitt »

Its all a matter or taste, I personally want my textures to stick very close to the shapes of the original and, most importantly, have the exact same coloring of the original.
Smoothing meshes is a practice I dont personally consider to be that great. We should use additional polys to make more detailed shapes, not to smooth out the existing ones.
But thats off-topic I guess.
Mistahtokyo

Post by Mistahtokyo »

PeterBitt wrote:I personally want my textures to stick very close to the shapes of the original
Bethesda often acknowledge themselves that their games are interpretations of their lore/concepts, not exact portrayals. With that in mind, I don't mind changing the game's visuals so long as the original theme remains faithful to the lore and/or concept art. Also, not all mesh replacers smooth out details, there have been several that also add. The thing is, some things don't leave much room for adding detail (if you want a higher poly plate, for example, there little you can do besides smoothing it out).
PeterBitt

Post by PeterBitt »

Mistahtokyo wrote:Bethesda often acknowledge themselves that their games are interpretations of their lore/concepts, not exact portrayals. With that in mind, I don't mind changing the game's visuals so long as the original theme remains faithful to the lore and/or concept art. Also, not all mesh replacers smooth out details, there have been several that also add. The thing is, some things don't leave much room for adding detail (if you want a higher poly plate, for example, there little you can do besides smoothing it out).
I dont prefer the vanilla look because I am some Bethesda fanboy, I simply love the design so I dont care what they say :)
Vanilla visuals are the only truly consistent visuals you can have, all those replacers created by various different authors vary greatly in design direction and quality.
A plate in Skyrim isnt much smoother than in MW because its still a game asset. You really shouldnt smooth misc object like plates to be perfectly round, its just unreasonable and to me personally doesnt even look good in many cases.
ezze

Post by ezze »

I am divided, it depends on the case if I like the Bethesda interpretation or some other one.

About re-interpretations, for example, I like darker daedric structures and rusty dwemer strongholds (unfortunately this texture pack has the side-effect that some metallic items, like buckets, become partially rusty). I was not using it, but the desert molag amur is also lovely. The white or rose Balmora are also good.

On the other hand, the red mountain instead is fine as it is, it is bleak and unforgiving as expected. Mr. Swiveller did a great replacer with this style too.