windows 98

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
cdoublejj

windows 98

Post by cdoublejj »

will OMW run on 98 liek the original MW did? if no will it run on kernel ex?
Tarius

Re: windows 98

Post by Tarius »

cdoublejj wrote:will OMW run on 98 liek the original MW did? if no will it run on kernel ex?
If it does not, I dont think anyone will be rushing to make it compatable.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Why should it be supported as a target platform? It is EoL and there is no more support from Microsoft, same goes for XP (and anything before that, win2k, ME, etc.)
cdoublejj

Post by cdoublejj »

Just because Microsoft doesn't support it doesn't mean the community won't, 98Se still has sizable community. they work on making drivers and addons for stuff like xp app comparability and even sata support and support for over 1gb of ram. i even saw project that got basic dual core functionality working.

also that goes against the policy of making it do every thing vanilla does.

I use 98 still, i have a dedicated 98se machine. why? because it can run games xp,vista,7,8 cannot run. games that dos box can't run either. however since i have i tend to put game on there that do run on xp and alter as well. why not? i have the space and power.

if it does not work and can't be made to work there is a good chance it can be made to run kernel ex. kernel ex gives windows xp like compatibility layer to 98se. it's kind of the best of both worlds, you get full dos support and can run quite a few xp and alter apps.

oh btw Microsoft support 98 till about 2010, then the took the update servers down (you can stil get the updates though). xp is still so popular it won't die till years after 2014.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

cdoublejj wrote:Just because Microsoft doesn't support it doesn't mean the community won't, 98Se still has sizable community. they work on making drivers and addons for stuff like xp app comparability and even sata support and support for over 1gb of ram. i even saw project that got basic dual core functionality working.
Then problem solved right? If they are already doing that, then they can help OpenMW to run on their version of Windows. It is that simple.

Same applies for the FreeBSD folks, it might run, it possibly could run... but the interest (and patches) have to come from them.
cdoublejj

Post by cdoublejj »

BrotherBrick wrote:
cdoublejj wrote:Just because Microsoft doesn't support it doesn't mean the community won't, 98Se still has sizable community. they work on making drivers and addons for stuff like xp app comparability and even sata support and support for over 1gb of ram. i even saw project that got basic dual core functionality working.
Then problem solved right? If they are already doing that, then they can help OpenMW to run on their version of Windows. It is that simple.

Same applies for the FreeBSD folks, it might run, it possibly could run... but the interest (and patches) have to come from them.
well i guess with source code that is possible.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

We're not against it... if there is someone that wants to support that platform, I wish them luck. :)
cdoublejj

Post by cdoublejj »

if i didn't have a 16 mega byte Geforce 2 Go... well maybe i'll try it any was. as far as i know it most likley supports at least XP it'd be really strange if it didn't, given that if it doesn't run on 98 there is a good chance it will run with Kernel Ex.

I should probably give it a go on my laptop.
ezze

Post by ezze »

Did you consider the solution of removing win98 and put something modern like gnu/linux?
cdoublejj

Post by cdoublejj »

ezze wrote:Did you consider the solution of removing win98 and put something modern like gnu/linux?
heaver and requires more resources than 98 and also even with wine won't run particular games that only 98 can run correctly.