Best Game engines

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
DarkAnsem

Best Game engines

Post by DarkAnsem »

which game engines, available to the public, would you consider best for making RPG or RTS?
nopoe

Re: Best Game engines

Post by nopoe »

Those are two entirely different beasts. For an RPG, I'd pick Unity, but I'm utterly clueless about what would be good for an RTS. Not that Unity is the best out there. Just that it's a good combo of accessibility and extensibility for an average user.
DarkAnsem

Post by DarkAnsem »

which one would you say is best?
nopoe

Post by nopoe »

I'd say there isn't a best engine. Only what's best for you. I can't do anything more than just suggest things that you might like. I think you should go with Unity if you're making a 3d game or GameMaker for a 2d game. Never used GameMaker but it's supposed to be pretty decent.
DarkAnsem

Post by DarkAnsem »

Unity it is then, it appears to be all right.
what about the Unreal engine, tho?
nopoe

Post by nopoe »

It's also really good, but its target audience is different from Unity's. Unity is used more often by indie devs and Unreal is used often by big studios.
DarkAnsem

Post by DarkAnsem »

why is that?
nopoe

Post by nopoe »

Not really sure, but it's what people have observed. Try both and see which one you like, if you want.
taknamay

Post by taknamay »

nopoe wrote:I'd say there isn't a best engine. Only what's best for you. I can't do anything more than just suggest things that you might like. I think you should go with Unity if you're making a 3d game or GameMaker for a 2d game. Never used GameMaker but it's supposed to be pretty decent.
I am just wondering, for an FPS would something like iD Tech 3 or 4 be adequate for an independent developer? I always find that people are relatively silent about these engines even though they seem decent to me (based on games made with those engines). What about Cube 2?
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

why is that?
Unity allows easier programming. Unreal grants supreme performance and CGI.