Addon Meta Data: Version

Questions specific to OpenMW-CS can be asked, and content development related topics can be discussed here
klorax

Addon Meta Data: Version

Post by klorax »

Addon Meta Data: Version 💾

In the OpenMW Construction Set there is a tool for configuring Meta Data for the current addon (like in Morrowind). In the tool-tip in the launcher there is a field called Version which is always 0.
  1. Is setting Version in the Meta Data section in the CS a missing feature (i.e., it is intended to be there in the future)?
  2. Can this be manually set in the omwaddon file?
Thanks!
lysol

Re: Addon Meta Data: Version

Post by lysol »

My, quite likely, guess is that if this field was enabled, omwaddon-files wouldn't be compatible with vanilla anymore, and since diverging from the original format is a goal post 1.0, this feature is not enabled yet.
klorax

Post by klorax »

lysol wrote: 09 Nov 2018, 05:38 My, quite likely, guess is that if this field was enabled, omwaddon-files wouldn't be compatible with vanilla anymore, and since diverging from the original format is a goal post 1.0, this feature is not enabled yet.
Thanks!

How do you mean compatible, can you use omwaddon files in original Morrowind?

Could not the field just be disabled when editing original Morrowind esp files (if that is even possible in the CS without saving them as omwaddon)?
lysol

Post by lysol »

Except that scripts are not turned into bytecode in omwaddon files, esp's and omwaddon's are more or less identical at the moment. This will be the case until 1.0 is released.
klorax

Post by klorax »

lysol wrote: 09 Nov 2018, 13:42 Except that scripts are not turned into bytecode in omwaddon files, esp's and omwaddon's are more or less identical at the moment. This will be the case until 1.0 is released.
The questions above are still unclear to me.

Would there really be a problem of having the version meta data in the omwaddon file since you can't run it in original Morrowind anyway (can you?).

I understand if no one wants to implement it before 1.0 (or at all), but it seems like an overstatement to say it would diverge from the original game (at least when compared to for example the Launcher it self).
Zini

Post by Zini »

I assume you are referring the the "File Format" field. This is unlikely to be ever manually editable. We may remove this field at some point, because it is kinda useless. Our current plan is to convert content files on loading to the newest file format, which means this field will always contain the same value; depending not on the file, but only on the version of OpenMW-CS.
klorax

Post by klorax »

I assume you are referring the the "File Format" field. This is unlikely to be ever manually editable. We may remove this field at some point, because it is kinda useless. Our current plan is to convert content files on loading to the newest file format, which means this field will always contain the same value; depending not on the file, but only on the version of OpenMW-CS.
I am referring to the "Version" in the tool-tip when mousing over addons in the launcher. It could be the same as "File Format" in the CS since both are 0?

I thought it was an intended feature (and not the same as File Format in the CS) to have a version meta data field for omwaddons so you can easily see what version of an addon you have. :)
Zini

Post by Zini »

Would have to check the source, but I am pretty sure that is the file format version too (just poorly labelled). Content file versions are a post 1.0 feature.
klorax

Post by klorax »

Zini wrote: 16 Nov 2018, 12:41 Would have to check the source, but I am pretty sure that is the file format version too (just poorly labelled). Content file versions are a post 1.0 feature.
That is was what I hoped, thanks!