[PRE-ALPHA WIP/REL] Greylock - An OpenMW based libre game

Questions specific to OpenMW-CS can be asked, and content development related topics can be discussed here
mattwla

[PRE-ALPHA WIP/REL] Greylock - An OpenMW based libre game

Post by mattwla »

Greylock

Greylock is an open-world sci-fi adventure set on Earth in the distant future. Right now it is in very early alpha, there is a landscape, a small quest, and some new AI and physics systems to play with. As of now Morrowind.esm is needed but the long-term goal is for a totally free game. Here is a video showing some of the new features:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF8ZkA-jy9g

The philosophy of the gameplay is for total player freedom, I imagine Greylock being a short game (under 5 hours) but with many different ways of completing it.

If you are interested I would love help! Mostly with visual assets [models, sprites, animations etc] and world building (like building underground areas, nice looking terrain, and human settlements). Also working on the OpenMW engine would help too (I would love distant statics!). I have a design doc if anyone is interested.

The source can be found at
https://github.com/mattwla/greylock
Although it is in big need of refactoring, I built up some code smell in the push to meet a self-imposed deadline for this "release".

You can download Greylock here, I only have Windows builds now [I definitely would like Mac and Linux builds, but have not had the time]. There isn't much gameplay to it yet and it is very buggy, but I think it is good to practice making public redists so here it is: https://mattwla.itch.io/greylock?secret ... Mu870pYUXc
Dyskos

Re: [PRE-ALPHA WIP/REL] Greylock - An OpenMW based libre game

Post by Dyskos »

Looks awesome! I will give this a try -- I love that there's climbing. It's a feature I'd wished they'd kept in Morrowind from Daggerfall. :)
drummyfish

Post by drummyfish »

Man this looks awesome - obviously very early - but I can already see the fun, I laughed when you beat those people with the battery. I dig the throw and climb features. I can see the potential.

I thought you were just creating content, but you're also modifying the engine, right? Is it necessary? Couldn't these things be scripted? (I have no experience with MW scripting). Getting into engine modification bears much more work, you know.

To get more audience you could also upload the video(s) on PeerTube - there's smaller audience but much bigger ratio of devs and libre people. You should also set up some kind of hub for the project, at least a chat - I'd recommend Matrix|Riot. Yeah I know, it's easily said :)

I might be able to help with assets and coding - not promising anything, may not have much time - but at least here and there I could throw something in.
mattwla

Post by mattwla »

Thanks for the replies! I have been camping so late response.

Drummy, thanks for the tips will check those sites out. What part of the code base are you most familiar with? (So I know which kind of questions to pester you with)
Sslaxx

Post by Sslaxx »

drummyfish wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 18:16 I thought you were just creating content, but you're also modifying the engine, right? Is it necessary? Couldn't these things be scripted? (I have no experience with MW scripting). Getting into engine modification bears much more work, you know.
Might be worth knowing what he needs to hack about with and see if any post-1.0 plans would render it unnecessary.

Also, would be interesting to see said code changes anyway. It'd be nice to see someone release the source code to their fork...
mattwla

Post by mattwla »

Sslaxx wrote: 04 Jul 2018, 21:37
drummyfish wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 18:16 I thought you were just creating content, but you're also modifying the engine, right? Is it necessary? Couldn't these things be scripted? (I have no experience with MW scripting). Getting into engine modification bears much more work, you know.
Might be worth knowing what he needs to hack about with and see if any post-1.0 plans would render it unnecessary.

Also, would be interesting to see said code changes anyway. It'd be nice to see someone release the source code to their fork...
Hi, thanks for the reply

Source can be found in OP, I'm refactoring next week so beware it is rough now. My engine changes have been with ai scheduling, ai goal setting, a lot with movement (climbing namely), a new smart entity system (allowing npcs to determine the use of objects for reaching goals, and for in game effects to be applied like on fire or frozen or posioned or whatever).

I thought about waiting for post 1.0 but who knows how many more years until I am tied down with family! Just devving while I am young ish and free ish.

Here is a link to slightly outdated design doc https://docs.google.com/document/d/1htj ... p=drivesdk