Free-licensed game in OpenMW engine?

Questions specific to OpenMW-CS can be asked, and content development related topics can be discussed here
mattwla

Re: Free-licensed game in OpenMW engine?

Post by mattwla »

I've been experimenting with photogrammetry for some of Greylock's objects, that's taking pictures of real world items from all angles and using software to scan the pics construct a 3d model.

Here is an album with some examples:

https://imgur.com/a/spd7YZQ

I am a noob at both blender and photogrammetry, but was able to churn out ok looking models w/ textures in short time.

It does not help a heck of a lot with animations though.... or human models, no way I could do humans in photogrammetry without a crazy expensive rig and 3d graphics know how.
drummyfish

Post by drummyfish »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 25 Jun 2018, 22:55 For super-low-poly stuff like some of the meshes here, normal Catmull-Clark subdivision might make things look worse.
By just blindly subdivinding definitely yes. However Blender makes it super easy to manually control the subdivision by marking edges as sharp, weighting individual edges' "roundness" etc. I think it will also mostly handle the vertex weights correctly. I've been doing these subdivisions comfortably and the results are very nice, but yes, it can't be fully automated. Also high-poly models with low-res textures are ugly, so a texture upscaling would probably follow and suddenly that would be a significant amount of work to do. So you're probably right, all in all it's likely best to use as is.
drummyfish

Post by drummyfish »

mattwla wrote: 25 Jun 2018, 23:03 I am a noob at both blender and photogrammetry
Well take a look at my attempts - that's the closes I've ever gotten to photogrammetry :D Painted my face with a marker, took photos, then made a pointcloud and finally a mesh in Blender :D

Your results are awesome - could you maybe share the models at OpenGameArt if you're not using them commercially? They'd be very helpful to many people.
mattwla

Post by mattwla »

That home brew photogrammetry turned out pretty good!

Yeah I will upload to OpenGameArt for sure, will try before end of week.
tomangelo

Post by tomangelo »

From my experience it's usually better to manually add more vertex. Subsurf is a good tool, but amount of time you need to spend to configure every single edge, and then fix some faces and delete unnecessary vertexes (sometimes you're deleting half of them, because the mesh was already dense in this area) makes it not much worth.
IMHO this is a great tool to make super smooth objects for rendering purposes, but doesn't apply very well to convert models from very-low-poly to low-poly