New modder

Questions specific to OpenMW-CS can be asked, and content development related topics can be discussed here
inatvand

New modder

Post by inatvand »

Dear OpenMW and Modding Community,
Super new to modding and I've yet to successfully implement one of my 3D Models, so forgive my ignorance. I edited the ridiculous Nordic Battleaxe mesh and now want to implement it. I see the game object, its stats, and its respective vanilla mesh in the object window in the CS, but how do I get my edited mesh to take its place without overwriting the old one. Maybe I'm going about this all wrong, I don't know... again, I'm super new to this and this is my first time even opening OpenMW-CS.
If someone with experience in the implementation department could just walk me through, step-by-step, how to get my edited .nif on the original object in game it would be highly appreciated.

Thanks, Inatvand
SatoriLotus

Re: New modder

Post by SatoriLotus »

Welcome!

I'm a little bit confused about what you want to do.

A. Make Morrowind's Nordic Battleaxe use your mesh rather than the vanilla one

or

B. Make a new in-game weapon using your mesh

I only ask because: "how do I get my edited mesh to take its place without overwriting the old one" doesn't make sense to me.

Because if it's "A" then you'd want to make your mod a pluginless replacer for a few different reasons.
If it's "B" you don't want your new weapon to take the place of the old one.

Or am I missing something?
inatvand

Post by inatvand »

I understand the confusion,
'A' is what I want to do. I want the original object in game to have my mesh instead. What I meant by "without overwriting the old one," was lose the original mesh(by just naming them the same and overwriting it in the data folder) but I now realize how stupid that is because I can just make copies and backups. Again, I apologize as this all very new for me.

Thank you so much, Inatvand

Edit: GOT IT! I just dropped my mesh into the mesh folder and replaced the Nordic Battleaxe's model in the object window with mine from the meshes window. SWEET! The only issue I'm noticing is the contorted textures(I fully anticipated this, I'm not that stupid) and they are white and shiny. What can I do to fix the shiny plastic effect?
SatoriLotus

Post by SatoriLotus »

OpenMW supports multiple mod folders, so you don't have to overwrite files: see here

Please post an image of your mesh as well as an image of your UV map, Imgur is a good option for this.
inatvand

Post by inatvand »

Awesome thanks,
Here's what the mesh looks like compared to the old one(http://imgur.com/a/cWaDg). You can see that it's in-game just fine but it looks plastic and I'm not sure if it has to do with the mesh or texture or object data. Note that I never changed anything other than the mesh.
SatoriLotus

Post by SatoriLotus »

Well the texture stretching is because you didn't edit your UV map, you can do this in Nifskope but it's easier in Blender or whatever 3D program you're using.

The plastic effect could be a couple of different things.

1. Check to see if there's a NiSpecularProperty in the original NIF, then check your edited NIF for one. If the original doesn't have one then you don't want one either.

2. If that's correct then try this: Right click your edited NIF's NiMaterialProperty -> Block -> Remove Branch. Now go to the original NIF; NiMaterialProperty -> Block -> Copy Branch. Back to your edited Nif; right click NiTriShape -> Block -> Paste Branch.

Let me know if that helps.
inatvand

Post by inatvand »

There weren't any specular properties on either and I copy the vanilla axe's material to the new and still no difference in the objects appearance.
SatoriLotus

Post by SatoriLotus »

Hmm, well I guess post your Nif and I'll take a look.
inatvand

Post by inatvand »

How should you prefer I get it to you?
SatoriLotus

Post by SatoriLotus »

Anything that works for you is fine, google drive maybe?