Everyone summons bears and wolves

Questions specific to OpenMW-CS can be asked, and content development related topics can be discussed here
isnotamused

Everyone summons bears and wolves

Post by isnotamused »

Hello. I have the same issue as described here:
http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/forum/everyo ... ning-bears

In short: the Fatigue and Magicka Overhaul mod apparently gave every NPC two summoning spells, which everyone casts and recasts in combat after the summons are killed. Possible solutions: change the spells to be of too high a magicka cost for NPCs to cast; delete the spells from the game; delete the spells from the NPCs in the save file.

My problem: I don't know how to use CS or OpenMW-CS to do any of the above. Tried to change the base costs of two Magic Effects with IDs "#138SummonBear" and "#139SummonWolf", saved it as an omwaddon, applied it, went into a dungeon, NPC still summoned animals. The manual doesn't really help. I am asking for some hints or relevant tutorials.

Some justification: It doesn't make combat more difficult, just incredibly jarring in tight spaces, and bland and boring in general. Also, fetch quests are nigh impossible: the presence a mere scrib aggroes the NPC, summoning the two animals, which attack the NPC as well for various reasons. It made me so angry that after saving Pemenie from her own summons, I made a save file called "therapy" in front of the low-hp Pemenie so that I could kill her again, and again, and again... (my excuse: I'm roleplaying an Orc.)
Pop000100

Re: Everyone summons bears and wolves

Post by Pop000100 »

Click mechanics
Spells
find offending wolf and bear spell
and implement your fix of choice
(for raising the cost uncheck auto calc cost and then set Magicka cost to ~9999)

PS remember to undo any changes you have done before this so you dont have uneeded changes

if you need more help i can do it if you link me the mod.
isnotamused

Post by isnotamused »

I looked through all 990 records in Mechanics/Spells, none of them looked like they summoned bears or wolves. All of them are "Base", so I guess there were no new spells added.

I downloaded the mod from here: http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/43130/?
Misc note: the mana_regen script has a typo, as the wiki's mod compatibility table notes.

Thank you for helping me so far.
Pop000100

Post by Pop000100 »

looking at the mod im pretty sure that its not Fatigue and Magicka Overhaul, disable it and see if it still happens. If it does post your load order.
Frik

Post by Frik »

I tested this mod at one point and it indeed caused some NPCs (dreamer in a cave) to cast summon wolf/bear spells. When I removed the mod, the dreamer went back to attacking with a club. On a cursory glance, I didn't see any obvious reason for this behavior. Summon wolf/bear are special spells used in Bloodmoon that can only be acquired by performing specific quests. Disabling them is an option if you do not plan on venturing into Solstheim and acquiring them for yourself.

Since I wasn't planning on using the mod anyway, I never dug any further into the problem.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
isnotamused

Post by isnotamused »

I made a loadout with only the expansions and that mod being loaded, then started a new character, did tutorial, went to smuggler's cave, you n'wah, summoning noises, bear in my face. Disabled the mod, so only the expansion were loaded, then genned new character, went to cave, now you die, stabbing noises. Pronounced lack of bear in face.

I'll report more tomorrow, for I have no time left today. Apologies for not answering sooner.
Pop000100

Post by Pop000100 »

We should have a dev look at it im 99% sure this is broken by openmw.(AKA mishandling of data files)
isnotamused

Post by isnotamused »

I forgot to mention. About a week ago I fixed the typo in one of the scripts of the mod (in Bethesda's CS), saved it as a separate mod, and played with that. Ever since, the NPCs still cast the summoning spells, but there are no actual bears nor wolves visible, nor colliding, nor making any sounds, etc. So, as far as I can tell, no actual summoning. I forgot if I've changed anything else besides fixing the typo. If I load the original mod, the NPCs summon correctly.

I've attached the tweaked mod file, hopefully the omgphpbbq bulletin board will let me do that.

Should I post a bug report in the tracker? i know how to do that honest.
Attachments
FatigueandMagickav1_2_typofix.zip
(6.9 KiB) Downloaded 236 times
Pop000100

Post by Pop000100 »

isnotamused wrote: 02 Aug 2017, 00:05 -Snip-
Should I post a bug report in the tracker? i know how to do that honest.
i would make a ticket(its wonky), glad it resolved it.
Jemolk

Post by Jemolk »

isnotamused wrote: 31 Jul 2017, 21:50 I made a loadout with only the expansions and that mod being loaded, then started a new character, did tutorial, went to smuggler's cave, you n'wah, summoning noises, bear in my face. Disabled the mod, so only the expansion were loaded, then genned new character, went to cave, now you die, stabbing noises. Pronounced lack of bear in face.

I'll report more tomorrow, for I have no time left today. Apologies for not answering sooner.
I'm a bit late, I know, but I know why this happens. Summon Bear and Summon Wolf spells are being automatically distributed to NPCs who could cast them, and the rebalance gives every bloody NPC in Vvardenfell enough magicka. I believe they're also tagged to auto-succeed, so since they have high enough magicka levels to cast the spells, bears and wolves get summoned everywhere. It's a vanilla game problem. :ugeek: