Natural Character Growth and Decay - An OpenMW Leveling Mod

Questions specific to OpenMW-CS can be asked, and content development related topics can be discussed here
Greywander

Re: Natural Character Growth and Decay - An OpenMW Leveling Mod

Post by Greywander »

Version 2.0 is now up.

Your Intelligence and level now factor in to decay, with decay getting faster as your level increases and slower as your Intelligence increases.
You are now notified on attribute increases, and on skill/attribute decays.
Zeofig

Post by Zeofig »

This is really cool. Intelligence affecting skill decay is a nice touch.
Naugrim

Post by Naugrim »

I found an issue when using the mod in a multi-player server. I know it's a odd request and I don't really know if this can be fixed, or if it's worth the effort since multiplayer is in early stages, but just wanted to report it.

Thing is the configuration popup appears during character creation messing with it. If you press any button before chosing a name, the interface gets stuck and You need to kill the process.
If you complete the name/password step, the mod starts showing the attributes values before you chose race and class, and then a popup indicating that something went wrong appears.

When logging into an already created character, the script triggers but no changes happen :/
MithrilLeaf

Post by MithrilLeaf »

I would also be interested in this mod working well for multiplayer, but that will probably require the next version which should come out later this month. There is interest though.
Loriel

Post by Loriel »

Naugrim wrote: 04 Aug 2017, 23:18 I found an issue when using the mod in a multi-player server. I know it's a odd request and I don't really know if this can be fixed, or if it's worth the effort since multiplayer is in early stages, but just wanted to report it.

Thing is the configuration popup appears during character creation messing with it. If you press any button before chosing a name, the interface gets stuck and You need to kill the process.
If you complete the name/password step, the mod starts showing the attributes values before you chose race and class, and then a popup indicating that something went wrong appears.

When logging into an already created character, the script triggers but no changes happen :/
There is a similar, but less serious, issue with the "Morrowind Comes Alive" mod ("MCA").

After character creation, exiting the census office starts the configuration dialog for ngcd. After the first question, it switches to a similar configuration dialog for MCA. On completion for MCA, it switches back to continue with the ngcd configuration dialog.

No harm done, but the switching is a bit confusing.

Loriel
Naugrim

Post by Naugrim »

This is expected.
For mods that trigger scripts at the beginning, it would be nice that Tes3MP published some event or variable so that mods where aware they are not in the single player runtime and could adapt.
Or it could just delay those script after creation.
nia817

Post by nia817 »

Stupid question, but how do I know if the mod is working? I enabled the mod via the openMW launcher, started a new game, and selected a class; however, my stats seem to be as if they are normal.
Naugrim

Post by Naugrim »

A configuration popup should appear when you exit the "Census & excise office", or when you load an old game.
outtaspace

Post by outtaspace »

You can sort of use this with TES3MP by creating a character without NCGD enabled, and then enabling it afterwards. It breaks TES3MP's initial character creation, but you can get into the game with NCGD on an already-created character. It seems to get confused if you log out and back in, though - for some reason it set my level 2 character's Personality to 0 and Endurance to 110.
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

While i do have lots of xp with single-player RPGs ( bards tale 3, eye of the beholder 2, Might and Magic VII, rage of mages 1 & 2, evil islands ) i never played any of the TES games ( the lack of turnbased combat options - or atleast an option to give orders in a pause mode like evil islands had - pushed me away) .
Recently i had finished my 4th (1st was 10+ years ago) playthrough of evil islands and was looking for something different/newer .
I discovered openmw and starting reading & playing.
The leveling system was a big disappointment though and i was glad to find an openmw compatible levelling mod .

I am now playing a forest ranger type character (2-handed axe, light armor only, NO ranged attacks, only enchant from magic skills) ) and at lvl 20 have problems increasing endurance.
Armorer is my only skill with endurance as primary attribute . It's at 45 , same as my endurance so using trainers is not possible.

I did notice that my INT was higher then my END even though my highest skill with INT as primary is at 40 .
I decided to look at ncgd code to see if i could understand the formulae used for calculating attribute values.

The code to caclulate STR starts around line 3687 .

line 3699+

Code: Select all

line 3699
		; Resets temporary variables to 0
		set temp to 0
		set temp2 to 0

; Adds attribute XP from skills
		set temp2 to 25 * masteryLongBlade
		set temp2 to temp2 + baseLongBlade
		set temp2 to temp2 * temp2
		set temp2 to temp2 * 2
		set temp to temp + temp2
The 2 is the value for a secondary atttibute , a primary attribute is set to 4.

All skills that influence STR are treated the same way, and their effects are added together.

At line 3671 the total is then converted into the amount that will be added to the base value of the attribute.

Code: Select all

line 3671
		; Adjust XP based on growth speed
		set temp2 to temp * attributeMult
		set temp to temp2 / 27

; Converts XP into attributes
		set temp2 to getSquareRoot temp
		set temp to temp2 + startSTR	; Sets base Strength to new value
We can put this in a formula , for simplicity i'll assume only one specific skill influences a specific attribute .

foo_basevar = foo_startvar -25
foo_skill = foo_baseskill + 25 * foo_masteryskill
foo_attribute_gain = sqr ( foo_skill * foo_skill * foo_weight * growth_speed / 27 )

We know that growth_speed ( 1 - 2 - 3 ) and foo_weigth ( 1 -2 -4 ) are fixed numbers set at character creation by ncgd / user , while foo_skill changes over time.

rewriting the formula to make it easier to see what's happening :

foo_attribute_gain = sqr ( foo_skill * foo_skill ) * sqr ( foo_weight) * sqr ( growth_speed ) * sqr ( 1/27 )
foo_attribute_gain = foo_skill * sqr ( foo_weight) * sqr ( growth_speed ) * sqr ( 1/27 )
foo_attribute_gain = foo_skill * sqr ( foo_weight) * sqr ( growth_speed ) * sqr ( 1/27 )

foo_attribute_gain = 0.19245008973 * sqr ( foo_weight) * sqr ( growth_speed ) * foo_skill

Substitute the real values for foo_weigth and growth_speed and create a table, then analyse the results .
You may be surprised by them (i was and had to double check the calculations before i believed them) .

If I want to increase endurance by training 1 skill, which should i choose and why : block , atletics or restoration ?

Please confirm or deny my feeling I have found a real issue in ncgd.

Edit: typos