cRPG event experiment

Questions specific to OpenMW-CS can be asked, and content development related topics can be discussed here
DestinedToDie

cRPG event experiment

Post by DestinedToDie »

After playing a cRPG, I decided to try and script a text encounter in OpenMW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjRrmY4 ... e=youtu.be
Atahualpa

Re: cRPG event experiment

Post by Atahualpa »

Very nice! Chasing a cat has never been more entertaining. :)
And you even thought of a little "quest" reward.
Biboran

Post by Biboran »

Cool! Now make party of heroes and turn0baced combat and we can start do M&M6 remake :D
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Unfortunately I prefer to be a lone wanderer.

I think turn-based combat isn't necessary. Morrowind combat already operates under dice rolls and cRPG rules.
silentthief

Post by silentthief »

Biboran wrote:Cool! Now make party of heroes and turn0baced combat and we can start do M&M6 remake :D
and
DestinedToDie wrote:I think turn-based combat isn't necessary. Morrowind combat already operates under dice rolls and cRPG rules.
---

Could be done with modding, if you really wanted to. The required steps for this would be summarized by having liberal use of paralysis and burden to "force" the turn based movement.

ST the turned
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

silentthief wrote:The required steps for this would be summarized by having liberal use of paralysis and burden to "force" the turn based movement.
But don't you think that when the player sees this, they will feel like these scripted spells being forced on them are kind of redundant? It would be far better if they don't see these things going on and the combat would be designed for turn-based, rather than hacked to be turn-based. My philosophy on this is to always stick to for what the engine was meant to be used in hopes of providing smooth-looking gameplay.
Sslaxx

Post by Sslaxx »

Except M&M 6 is not purely turn-based combat, but an option of real time or turn.
silentthief

Post by silentthief »

DestinedToDie wrote:
silentthief wrote:The required steps for this would be summarized by having liberal use of paralysis and burden to "force" the turn based movement.
But don't you think that when the player sees this, they will feel like these scripted spells being forced on them are kind of redundant? It would be far better if they don't see these things going on and the combat would be designed for turn-based, rather than hacked to be turn-based. My philosophy on this is to always stick to for what the engine was meant to be used in hopes of providing smooth-looking gameplay.
Pretty sure that turn based combat can still be done without scripting spells, using disableplayercontrols script to stop player:

http://www.uesp.net/morrow/editor/mw_cs ... ercontrols

instead of
silentthief wrote:Could be done with modding, if you really wanted to. The required steps for this would be summarized by having liberal use of paralysis and burden to "force" the turn based movement.
and for NPCs since you cannot use that no them, you'd have to use startcombat/stopcombat to get the NPCs/monsters to attack on demand

ST
Biboran

Post by Biboran »

Sslaxx wrote:Except M&M 6 is not purely turn-based combat, but an option of real time or turn.
You have option to freeze time and start classic combat
Sslaxx

Post by Sslaxx »

Biboran wrote:Cool! Now make party of heroes and turn0baced combat and we can start do M&M6 remake :D
Or Wizardry 8. Wiz8 also supports realtime/phased and turn-based combat. It also had a much more interesting party dynamic.

The "blobber"-style party support would be of interest, at this point. That said, I'd be more interested in a "group"-style party ala the companions you can get in Skyrim (and the mercenary in Tribunal) or Ultima VII.