Does OpenMW-CS Actually Work?

Questions specific to OpenMW-CS can be asked, and content development related topics can be discussed here
MrAnonGuy

Does OpenMW-CS Actually Work?

Post by MrAnonGuy »

I tied to make a very simple change to a cell. I'm just trying move a table a few feet in an existing addon. I opened the addon using OpenME-CS and moved the table a few feet, as shown below:
table1.jpg
I then saved the changes. I exited OpenMW-CS, and restarted. Now the table is completely missing from the cell. This is about as basic an editing operation as it gets, right?
table2.jpg
So, is OpenMW-CS simply broken or am I doing something wrong? Any guidance would be most appreciated.

Thanks!
aesylwinn

Re: Does OpenMW-CS Actually Work?

Post by aesylwinn »

At the moment, moving stuff from a different add-on is broken. It's tied to bug#3427. Moving stuff added in the current plugin is fully supported.
MrAnonGuy

Post by MrAnonGuy »

Hey, thanks for the info. What do you mean by "current" plugin? It's the only plugin/addon I have selected when I bring up the CS.

TIA
aesylwinn

Post by aesylwinn »

Going off your screen shot, you should be able to move the table in "UndergoundMansion.omwaddon" if you added it to the cell in "UndergroundMansion.omwaddon". That's what I meant by current. Does that not work?
MrAnonGuy

Post by MrAnonGuy »

I cannot move the table that is already included in the addon. If I move it, save and reopen, It disappears.

If I add another object to the addon and do not move it, then save and reopen, it will stay. If I move it and of course, I have to move any object I add to the desired location, it will disappear on save and reload.

As you can see, all of these candles I placed into the cell (and didn't move), remained after I saved and reloaded. The candles dropped onto the table, such that their bases were well into the table top surface. One of the candles wouldn't drop onto the table top surface at all. Instead, it was placed in the wall behind the table.
candles.jpg
Whether the object already exists in the addon, or whether I add the object, if I move it, then save and reload, the object disappears.
aesylwinn

Post by aesylwinn »

Strange, I can't seem to reproduce that particular issue. If you go to World->Instances and filter it by the modified column (by clicking on "Modified"), can you find the objects you've moved? They should all have a status of "Added" if they are going to work properly.

Anyway, I'm working on bug#3427, so perhaps fixing that will also fix this.
MrAnonGuy

Post by MrAnonGuy »

Thank you very much for taking the time to look at this.

Considering that I'm a rank newbie, perhaps you can see where I'm going wrong here. I'm now using the new version of OpenMW-CS that's included with V0.40. I thought I would try a completely different addon, just to be certain that there was not something amiss with the previous addon I was using. I get the exact same results with this addon, as well.

I'm using a vanilla addon called: CalderaManor.esp

Here are the steps I've taken.

1) Start CS and Load Morrowind.esm, along with CalderaManor.esp
2) View the cell and move a chest
3) Save (CalderaManor.omwaddon is created) & exit CS
4) Start CS and Load Morrowind.esm, along with CalderaManor.omwaddon
5) Check the cell, the chest is now missing from the cell

Perhaps you can see where I'm going wrong.

Thanks again!
Last edited by MrAnonGuy on 02 Sep 2016, 13:04, edited 1 time in total.
aesylwinn

Post by aesylwinn »

Looks like you found a new bug. The editor doesn't seem to like that you are using an esp file to start with. I'll have to look into this a little further to understand why.
MrAnonGuy

Post by MrAnonGuy »

Thank you for taking a look.

I was kinda hoping it was something I was doing wrong. It I were to start creating a cell from scratch, that should work?

Thanks!
aesylwinn

Post by aesylwinn »

Yes, that should work. Basically the rule at the moment is to only touch things you have placed yourself in openmw-cs. ;) Thank you for taking the time to report the issue. Hopefully it will be worked out soon. I've added this issue to the tracker as bug#3514.

Edit: Just an update, it appears this issue only occurs with certain ESP files.
Last edited by aesylwinn on 31 Aug 2016, 00:39, edited 1 time in total.