OpenMW CS - Merge

Questions specific to OpenMW-CS can be asked, and content development related topics can be discussed here
kuyondo

OpenMW CS - Merge

Post by kuyondo »

I was trying to merge two plugins using the openmw-cs but i realise it would make a new game instead, with the omwgame extension.

So i had to merge my plugins using the tes3cs.

Is it possible, as of now, to merge two plugins using the openmw-cs, and keep the it as omwaddon?
Last edited by kuyondo on 21 Jul 2018, 10:14, edited 1 time in total.
DestinedToDie

Re: Openmwcs-merge

Post by DestinedToDie »

To my experience (and I might be wrong about this), it just merges everything. I found a way around that, though I wouldn't recommend it.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Doesn't xEdit support Morrowind? If so, that's what I'd use.
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

It does not. Sadly.
Can't find the relevant statement but the support has never been functional.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Quick heads-up: I started to work on a 2nd more elaborate merge tool (was planning to have a go at that for quite a while). This will cover your use-case. But don't hold your breath. Still have extremely little time available for OpenMW and right now I am already happy if I get to write 10 lines of code per day.So that will take a loooong time.
kuyondo

Post by kuyondo »

Zini wrote: 04 Oct 2017, 10:31 Still have extremely little time available for OpenMW and right now I am already happy if I get to write 10 lines of code per day.So that will take a loooong time.
I understand, you have done an amazing job for the project, so just take your time. Even 1 line of code per day from you is already a significant contribution.
kuyondo

Post by kuyondo »

Zini wrote: 04 Oct 2017, 10:31 Quick heads-up: I started to work on a 2nd more elaborate merge tool (was planning to have a go at that for quite a while). This will cover your use-case. But don't hold your breath. Still have extremely little time available for OpenMW and right now I am already happy if I get to write 10 lines of code per day.So that will take a loooong time.
Just wanna bring this up, is this still in our radar? Because a merge feature in OpenMW-CS would be cool. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

Zini wrote: 04 Oct 2017, 10:31 Quick heads-up: I started to work on a 2nd more elaborate merge tool (was planning to have a go at that for quite a while). This will cover your use-case. But don't hold your breath. Still have extremely little time available for OpenMW and right now I am already happy if I get to write 10 lines of code per day.So that will take a loooong time.
Perhaps a WIP pull request would be helpful for this? That way, the code would survive if anything happened to you, and others might be able to help to save you a few days.
Zini

Post by Zini »

I pretty much abandoned this approach. I think the whole problem needs a complete rethink. I was trying to force the merge function on the existing OpenMW-CS data structure. It would have worked, but it was also becoming increasingly clear that this is a suboptimal way of doing it. Anyway, the code I have written so far is mostly about frontend/GUI stuff from what I remember. I hadn't gotten to the interesting part yet.

My current line of thinking is that the merge function has no place in OpenMW-CS. It should be a tool of its own. Makes a lot of sense, if you think about it both from the perspective of implementation and from a theoretical perspective. An application should do only one thing. OpenMW-CS does content file editing. Content file merging is a separate task.

But of course a separate application has downsides too. I think we will need to do some major collective brainstorming before we can move ahead with this feature.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

I definitely consider it well within the scope of the CS, even if it's provided as a plugin rather than a built-in feature.