What to expect in the future

Feel free to discuss here about news on our blog
lysol

What to expect in the future

Post by lysol »

Long time no see! Time for some news then.

A lot has happened since 0.44, and 0.45 would be a quite big release already if it were to be released right now.

If you go to our repository and filter out the latest closed issues, you'll notice something: quite a lot of them were done by Andrei Kortunov (akortunov) and Alexei Dobrohotov (Capostrophic). These guys are working like there's no tomorrow.

But let's not forget the other devs. AnyOldName3 is also working his butt off, but with one single, quite big, task; getting shadows back in the engine again. The shadows have been in the work for a long time now, so it proved to be a quite difficult task to do. If you build the shadow branch now, however, you'll see that there is not much left to do until they are ready to be merged. It is hard to estimate when things in open source projects are done in a previous news post, there was an estimation that shadows would be done for 0.44... Sorry. As I said, it is hard to estimate stuff!), but with that in mind, it is not unlikely they will be done for the next release, i.e. 0.45. If you wish to support AnyOldName3 with his work on OpenMW and other projects, consider supporting him on patreon!

Elsid is still working with the implementation of navmeshes via Recastnavigation, a feature that was also mentioned in a newspost back in March. A few days ago, he implemented a way to update the navmesh when doors are opened or closed. This means the AI will now finally be able to use doors correctly. Fingers crossed for a merged navmesh feature for 0.45!

Capostrophic and akortunov have both got so many pull requests merged lately that I would just spam this post by mentioning all of them. But let's sum it up a bit:
  • 0.45 will get improved battle AI (better weapon and magic priorities and better performance for example) thanks to both akortunov and Capostrophic
  • Kortunov has loads of work in progress pull requests to make animations look better. Most are already merged, and when the last of them are, there will be much rejoicing.
  • Akortunov implemented proper TTF scaling to the GUI (finally!). We will also get a proper font for the profiler.
  • He is also implementing Lamoot's icons in the menus in OpenMW-CS, which looks great. Lamoot has worked hard to make more icons and most of the ones needed right now seem to be done.
  • A crapton of bugfixes
Aesylwinn has returned for some work on the editor. He has been working lately on implementing NPC rendering in the editor, a feature that is more or less ready to be merged at the time of writing. Speaking of the editor, unelsson is working on implementing a land texture selection feature, to be used with his already implemented land texture editing feature.

Wareya, a long time member on the forums, but a not-so-long time developer, is working on improving the movement solver, and once that is done, collisions, like general movement close to walls and the like, will feel much more smooth.

It is also probably time for us to mention the kind of partnership we've started with www.modding-openmw.com. This website launched a while ago to suggest good mods for OpenMW, and we've partnered with the creator to use the site as a database for mod compatibility. Check it out!

And that's a summary of what's been going on since last time you heard from us. Stay tuned for 0.45!

Oh, and as always, we are happily accepting your contributions, be it developing or something else. Just join us on the forums and take part in the discussion or send your merge/pull requests on gitlab or github
wareya

Re: What to expect in the future

Post by wareya »

Wareya, a long time member on the forums, but a not-so-long time developer
Worth noting (for the forum, not the blog page) that I made a contribution a long time ago (rest until healed), but ducked out of everything gaming related because of events.
sg1efc

Post by sg1efc »

Thank you everyone for all of your hard work. :)
wareya

Post by wareya »

Also, something about the front page css is broken: https://i.imgur.com/WA9iPtW.png
lysol

Post by lysol »

wareya wrote: 09 Sep 2018, 21:47
Wareya, a long time member on the forums, but a not-so-long time developer
Worth noting (for the forum, not the blog page) that I made a contribution a long time ago (rest until healed), but ducked out of everything gaming related because of events.
Oh, that I didn't know. Sorry! :) You want me to update the post?

The CSS problem is strange. It does not look like this for me. Psi or Lgro should look into it.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

By the way, do we have people who post our news posts to places like Reddit? As long as there aren't weird self-promotion rules in some of these communities, I think we're missing a trick if we're not doing it.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Thanks to JDGBOLT, it is now on reddit.
darkbasic

Post by darkbasic »

It is also probably time for us to mention the kind of partnership we’ve started with www.modding-openmw.com. This website launched a while ago to suggest good mods for OpenMW, and we’ve partnered with the creator to use the site as a database for mod compatibility. Check it out!
I saw that their recommended setup consists of more than 224 mods. Is there any video out there which shows what's provided graphically and gameplay wise by those mods?
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

I have so many mixed feelings about this website. On the one hand I love its minimalist, no nonsense look... but then it goes and uses Bootstrap. Killing a mosquito with a nuke there.

Aside from that, I for one would never recommend the "recommended list" mentioned above - which is also available on the front page under the button "Total Overhaul". Recommending a total overhaul? For whom exactly?
And then there's also the "Expanded Vanilla" button which forwards to a list of mods that are marked as Essential, but a lot of those are not essential at all by any definition of the word I am familiar with.

So I'd say that this tagging system really needs some rethinking. When I started a similar project to this, I also had the thought that people love mod packs so I definitely think the dev there is on the right track, but I think he misses that people have too many different wishes and definitions to account for with a only a handful of lists.

This part could be solved by letting people compile their own packs in lists which are then available on the site. Ideally that would need a registration system, but if that's too much of a bother, I'm sure that tossing all the mod IDs in the URL as GET variables would be an option too - though that could make for some really damn long URLs... :p