What to expect in the future

Feel free to discuss here about news on our blog
Ravenwing

Re: What to expect in the future

Post by Ravenwing »

Thanks lysol for the detailed update! It’s nice even for those of us who follow things pretty closely. And thanks to all the contributors for making this an exciting update!

@Okulo, the webmaster is really open to comments so I’m sure he’d be interested in your thoughts. He very kindly agreed to work with us to help with our overflowing and ungainly mod compatibility info. All the lists are his own preferences and we don’t want to commandeer his site, but I bet he’d be open to user suggested lists.
ModdingOpenMWdotcom

Post by ModdingOpenMWdotcom »

Okulo wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 22:21 I have so many mixed feelings about this website. On the one hand I love its minimalist, no nonsense look... but then it goes and uses Bootstrap. Killing a mosquito with a nuke there.
The website does not use bootstrap, feel free to take a look at the page source :D

As for your comment about "who is the total overhaul for" -- I do explain that this is based on my own personal load order. I also mention that one can select and choose mods as they wish, but that's all sort of hidden on the about page so I'm sure not everyone sees it.

I appreciate your comments about the tags, it's a work in progress so any specific comments are welcomed!

EDIT: thanks for the comments Ravenwing! I responded before noticing your post.
Last edited by ModdingOpenMWdotcom on 13 Sep 2018, 22:13, edited 2 times in total.
ModdingOpenMWdotcom

Okulo wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 22:21 This part could be solved by letting people compile their own packs in lists which are then available on the site. Ideally that would need a registration system, but if that's too much of a bother, I'm sure that tossing all the mod IDs in the URL as GET variables would be an option too - though that could make for some really damn long URLs... :p
Ravenwing actually had an idea for a sort of "shopping cart" system and I really like this concept; it could be implemented without requiring user registration too (the cart could be cookie-based.)

So the idea is: while browsing mods they would have an "add to cart" button or similar, and one could compile a list of whatever they wanted. At "checkout" time, the website could generate the necessary configs and etc. I think this is a good approach that's not as arbitrary as my current categories and tags.
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

ModdingOpenMWdotcom wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 22:04
Okulo wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 22:21 This part could be solved by letting people compile their own packs in lists which are then available on the site. Ideally that would need a registration system, but if that's too much of a bother, I'm sure that tossing all the mod IDs in the URL as GET variables would be an option too - though that could make for some really damn long URLs... :p
Ravenwing actually had an idea for a sort of "shopping cart" system and I really like this concept; it could be implemented without requiring user registration too (the cart could be cookie-based.)

So the idea is: while browsing mods they would have an "add to cart" button or similar, and one could compile a list of whatever they wanted. At "checkout" time, the website could generate the necessary configs and etc. I think this is a good approach that's not as arbitrary as my current categories and tags.
My pipe dream would be for that to be integrated into the OpenMW Launcher itself so you could just browse for mods, check them off, and then have them automatically downloaded, unpacked, and ready to play.

Who knows. It might be a thing some day, but it would definitely be post-1.0.
ModdingOpenMWdotcom

Thunderforge wrote: 14 Sep 2018, 04:54 My pipe dream would be for that to be integrated into the OpenMW Launcher itself so you could just browse for mods, check them off, and then have them automatically downloaded, unpacked, and ready to play.

Another really cool idea, and one that is very doable. Very nice, Thunderforge! 8-)
klorax

Post by klorax »

ModdingOpenMWdotcom wrote: 14 Sep 2018, 15:27
Thunderforge wrote: 14 Sep 2018, 04:54 My pipe dream would be for that to be integrated into the OpenMW Launcher itself so you could just browse for mods, check them off, and then have them automatically downloaded, unpacked, and ready to play.

Another really cool idea, and one that is very doable. Very nice, Thunderforge! 8-)
That sounds very nice! :)
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

ModdingOpenMWdotcom wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 21:54The website does not use bootstrap, feel free to take a look at the page source :D
My bad, I did look at the source and I thought I recognised the (many, many) classes. :)
ModdingOpenMWdotcom wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 21:54As for your comment about "who is the total overhaul for" -- I do explain that this is based on my own personal load order. I also mention that one can select and choose mods as they wish, but that's all sort of hidden on the about page so I'm sure not everyone sees it.
Just speaking for myself, the last time I read an About page was when I was mystified as to what the hell the website in question was. :p
ModdingOpenMWdotcom wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 22:04Ravenwing actually had an idea for a sort of "shopping cart" system and I really like this concept; it could be implemented without requiring user registration too (the cart could be cookie-based.)

Well, I think these are three different things.
1. This suggested cookie system makes installing mods easy. Great idea too, though probably a lot of work on your end. ;)
2. Then you say that it's not as arbitrary as your categories or tags, but those tags would help me shop for mods. They are definitely valuable.
3. What I'm talking about is sharing these lists. If can create a list for myself just fine using the cookie system, I still can't share that list with someone else. Modlists go over great in the modding community, in my experience.
Thunderforge wrote: 14 Sep 2018, 04:54My pipe dream would be for that to be integrated into the OpenMW Launcher itself so you could just browse for mods, check them off, and then have them automatically downloaded, unpacked, and ready to play.
Kinda like OpenTTD's BaNaNaS system?