OpenMW-launcher just got an advanced settings menu

Feel free to discuss here about news on our blog
DestinedToDie

OpenMW-launcher just got an advanced settings menu

Post by DestinedToDie »

After the new year, development has been quiet and there hasn't been much of interest going on in OpenMW... or so I thought until I checked out the latest feature on the bugtracker. We now have a settings menu in our launcher that allows easy access to various optional features that were previously hidden in some text file that most people didn't even know existed. Thanks to Thunderforge, enabling these options will soon be a simple matter of checking a box. It's not quite clear if this feature is to stay in its current form, however, as we may revise it to be part of ingame options after getting OpenMW to its post 1.0 version state.

https://user-images.githubusercontent.c ... 5ebf59.png

In other news, AnyOldName3's work on bringing shadows back to the OpenMW engine is still ongoing and can be followed here on github. Those who have the know-how to build OpenMW's shadow branch have reported that the results are night and day in terms of visual stability compared to earlier iterations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iSCHoc ... e=youtu.be
Last edited by DestinedToDie on 08 Feb 2018, 05:21, edited 1 time in total.
sg1efc

Re: OpenMW-launcher just got an advanced settings menu

Post by sg1efc »

Cool 8-)
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

Could you please change the image to this one, especially since it's on the news page? The one that you are currently showing isn't the final version (the message above the settings is different).
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Thunderforge wrote: 08 Feb 2018, 00:49 Could you please change the image to this one, especially since it's on the news page? The one that you are currently showing isn't the final version (the message above the settings is different).
Sure and done. If you haven't already, you should ask lgromanowski to give you access to the team members section, where we prepare these news snippets so you can chime in in case we miss something like this.
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

DestinedToDie wrote: 08 Feb 2018, 05:28 If you haven't already, you should ask lgromanowski to give you access to the team members section, where we prepare these news snippets so you can chime in in case we miss something like this.
I had no idea that section even existed. I’ll go ahead and contact lgromanowski.
CMAugust

Post by CMAugust »

Love the video. More candidates for showing off the shadows feature include: the PC, NPCs and creatures, small inventory items (micro detail), distant terrain and statics (macro detail), over and under water. I'm sure the time will come when interior shadows can be shown off too.
Candiety

Post by Candiety »

Where is this settings menu? I can only see the normal menu, with no advanced settings.

OpenMW 0.43.0/Windows 7 64bit.

Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

0.43.0 was code-freezed in the end of October, this menu is a recent development not in any stable release yet. To see it, you need to use a nightly build for your system (see Nightly builds pinned topic for Windows builds) or patiently wait for 0.44.0.
Candiety

Post by Candiety »

^Thanks for the quick answer. I know nightlies will contain issues by nature, but is there any particular glaring reason not to use the latest nightly?
lysol

Post by lysol »

No, not really except what you already mentioned. Go for it. :)