Bump mappers assemble!

Feel free to discuss here about news on our blog
Pherim

Re: Bump mappers assemble!

Post by Pherim »

scrawl wrote:Thanks DestinedToDie, now we have something to point to the next time someone asks that "why is everything shiny" question again. However, the article doesn't mention this is only an issue for certain third-party mods, not the vanilla game itself, this might be confusing to a casual player.
I agree that it could be mentioned, but then again, how many "casual" players are actually interested in OpenMW? Is there even such a thing as a casual Morrowind player any more? :lol:
Btw, I considered the option of adding a "MGE-compatible" bump mapping mode to OpenMW, but it would turn into a real mess if you have some mods that were made for the old engine and then at the same time have some mods that want to use real bump maps. And IMO, the MGE method doesn't look that pretty anyway, the environment map just overbrightens it.
Small correction: It's MCP that does that (as was written correctly in the news post), not MGE. MGE has nothing to do with it. And I fully agree with the decision not to make OpenMW compatible with this method.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Considering how often someone hears about OpenMW on reddit for the first time, I would venture to guess that there are actually many casual players who occasionally play a week of Morrowind between year-long breaks.
lysol

Post by lysol »

scrawl wrote: Btw, I considered the option of adding a "MGE-compatible" bump mapping mode to OpenMW, but it would turn into a real mess if you have some mods that were made for the old engine and then at the same time have some mods that want to use real bump maps. And IMO, the MGE method doesn't look that pretty anyway, the environment map just overbrightens it.
As Pherim pointed out, I guess you mean the MCP method.

Anyway, please don't add it. It's a bad method of doing it, and it will just encourage people to continue to use this bad method. We need to replace this once and for all.
NoBootedBeast

Post by NoBootedBeast »

DestinedToDie wrote:Considering how often someone hears about OpenMW on reddit for the first time, I would venture to guess that there are actually many casual players who occasionally play a week of Morrowind between year-long breaks.

Thats me. I only came on here because morrowind keeps crashing at the title.mp3