Fundamentals

Feel free to discuss here about news on our blog
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: Fundamentals

Post by psi29a »

DestinedToDie wrote:But at this point, you are including all Oblivion meshes in a download for it to work. Isn't that copyright infringement?

"» Wasn't Morroblivion shut down by Bethesda?
Several years ago, at the beginning of the Morroblivion project, the project thread was shut down on the official Bethesda forums, and hosting of it on TES Nexus was taken down at Bethesda's request, due to some apparent licensing issues with using textures from Morrowind in Oblivion.

These legal issues have now been circumvented with mesh and texture replacers, and community development of the project is still going on here at Morroblivion.com."

https://tesrenewal.com/morroblivion-faq

So you'd maybe have to replace all meshes and textures. I've never played Morroblivion so don't know how it is. Play and find out. :)
DestinedToDie has an important point!

There are a couple of things at play here:

1) Bethesda doesn't want people to mix content from one of their games into another. Work-around, make you're own replacers.

2) While Bethesda has an open license to remix their work and post it online, it is only in the context of their specific game. The moment you try to push them into another game than they were intended, or in our case OpenMW then you're going against their license. Work-around, asset replacers (like the openmw-template project).

3) OpenMW can technically go in many directions and has the ability to support many formats... OpeMW however is meant for Morrowind and new games. That won't stop people, here or elsewhere, from forking it into OpenOblivion for example.
SquireNed

Post by SquireNed »

Anyone know about the Fallout 3/NV hybrid Tale of Two Wastelands? It's not exactly similar to what we'd be doing, but it's something that Bethesda may or may not have commented on. It doesn't redistribute any content from either game (except for patches to stuff that gets broken and the requisite data to convert FO3 content so that it works in FNV as one would expect).

I feel like OpenMW wouldn't have any legal issues from being able to work with Oblivion content, but there are major practical issues with the execution.
ahehalftalftow

Post by ahehalftalftow »

you never explained how to enable the new crosshairs ;-;

how do we do that? i need more than a screenshot please :{
jirka642

Post by jirka642 »

@ahehalftalftow
Change value of "show owned" under "[Game]" in settings.cfg to 3, for more info look at comments in default settings file: https://github.com/OpenMW/openmw/blob/m ... efault.cfg
ahehalftalftow

Post by ahehalftalftow »

jirka642 wrote:@ahehalftalftow
Change value of "show owned" under "[Game]" in settings.cfg to 3, for more info look at comments in default settings file: https://github.com/OpenMW/openmw/blob/m ... efault.cfg
it took me a little while to find that file, (~/.config/openmw/settings.cfg for anyone running linux?), but thanks to the `find /|grep "settings.cfg"` one-liner, that was made easy for me. 10/10 would show owned = 3 again!

//thank you
freem

Post by freem »

ahehalftalftow wrote:
jirka642 wrote:@ahehalftalftow
it took me a little while to find that file, (~/.config/openmw/settings.cfg for anyone running linux?), but thanks to the `find /|grep "settings.cfg"` one-liner, that was made easy for me. 10/10 would show owned = 3 again!

//thank you
Just few hints for you later (and possibly other people using unix-like systems?):

1) there are 2 main conventions about where user configuration files are stored.
The old, traditional one, is to store those in $HOME, in a hidden folder named after the software which want to store its configuration.
The other one, more recent and pushed by FreeDesktop.Org (this idea from them is actually very useful, because $HOME stuff is way less messy now, nice when you use auto-completion when you want to move into folders!) is to put a folder named after the program's name in a dedicated folder. By default, this dedicated folder is $HOME/.config, but it can be changed with a shell variable (don't remember the name, though).
This explains the $HOME/.config/openmw path: openmw follows this FreeDesktopOrg's convention.

2) instead of writing "find | grep 'myfile.name'", use "find -name 'myfile.name'". It will be faster, not to speak about '-iname' which allow to not respect case, or the fact that you can use traditional shell wildcards in the filename (like, '??file.*' for example). There are, of course, several other powerful options to find, that you can learn about by reading the man. This hint was the reason why I actually replied. Seeing find|grep ... hurts my eyes :mrgreen: