OpenSceneGraph port now playable

Feel free to discuss here about news on our blog
cc9cii

Re: OpenSceneGraph port now playable

Post by cc9cii »

FWIW, on the same laptop the intro video works fine with the Ogre version (using OpenGL drivers)
Chris

Post by Chris »

I just noticed this when playing with MAO. It seems the OSG branch doesn't like data paths that contain an & character. It took me a bit to realize that path wasn't being added since there wasn't any warning or error about it.

Figured I mention it here instead of creating a bug since I don't know if it affects the current master.
dEnigma

Post by dEnigma »

Chris wrote:
Unfortunately I can't reproduce the problem, it works just fine for me. Can any other Windows users try it?
Can't reproduce it either on Windows 10 64bit.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

scrawl wrote:Just pushed a sizable performance improvement for exteriors (~2ms in my testing).
Did some testing here, we got from 12fps to 20fps.

Physics still taking up the most time. Once hit esc to get the menu, it shoots up to 60 as the physics is paused.
claudekennilol

Post by claudekennilol »

Super impressive. Great job.
Sslaxx

Post by Sslaxx »

Baan Malur (I think the most demanding area I've seen in a mod or in the vanilla game) is getting 25-40 fps (albeit sans distant land, water, shadows etc). Which, considering the same area using an OGRE build is getting 7-15fps (albeit with distant land et al) is pretty impressive.
raevol

Post by raevol »

When will this be pushed into master?
DocClox

Post by DocClox »

I wanted to test this on my somewhat aging Linux laptop. It runs the Ogre version well enough, although I have to dial the view distance right down or it lags and stutters in Balmora. Anyway, lacking a suitable download, I thought I'd build it myself.

I followed the instructions on the wiki, Gentoo already had all the build tools I needed. Compiled just fine and runs no problem.

Silly Question: how do I know if I got the source for the OSG branch or not?

Sorry to have to ask. I know my way around most of the software you're using for OpenMW, but I've never had to get to grips with git and it remains a little opaque.

Only reason I ask is that I'm not seeing any noticeable improvements. Or differences of any kind, really. Which would be fine, but if I'm going to call this a test, then I probably ought to know which version I just built :)
maqifrnswa

Post by maqifrnswa »

I set up a daily build ppa:
https://launchpad.net/~openmw/+archive/ ... penmw-osg/

it should pull in all the correct dependencies. I haven't tested it yet - but it's build on our normal PPA so it should just work!

EDIT: it's built, here are the dependencies that it needs (taken care of automatically if you install from the PPA)
libavcodec56 (>= 6:11~beta1) | libavcodec-extra-56 (>= 6:11~beta1), libavformat56 (>= 6:11~beta1), libavresample2 (>= 6:11~beta1), libavutil54 (>= 6:11~beta1), libboost-filesystem1.55.0, libboost-program-options1.55.0, libboost-system1.55.0, libboost-thread1.55.0, libbulletcollision2.82, libc6 (>= 2.14), libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.1), libgl1-mesa-glx | libgl1, liblinearmath2.82, libmyguiengine3debian1 (>= 3.2.2), libopenal1 (>= 1.14), libopenscenegraph100, libopenthreads20, libsdl2-2.0-0 (>= 2.0.0), libstdc++6 (>= 4.9), libswscale3 (>= 6:11~beta1), libtinyxml2.6.2

tomorrow the libtxc-dxtn-s2tc0 library will be added to the default install as well.
Last edited by maqifrnswa on 10 Jun 2015, 00:27, edited 1 time in total.
Ace (SWE)

Post by Ace (SWE) »

DocClox wrote:Silly Question: how do I know if I got the source for the OSG branch or not?

Sorry to have to ask. I know my way around most of the software you're using for OpenMW, but I've never had to get to grips with git and it remains a little opaque.

Only reason I ask is that I'm not seeing any noticeable improvements. Or differences of any kind, really. Which would be fine, but if I'm going to call this a test, then I probably ought to know which version I just built :)
You know you've got the OSG branch if you've cloned or added scrawls fork as a remote, and then checked out his osg branch.
Otherwise you're running the Ogre version.

So something like:

Code: Select all

$ git clone git://github.com/scrawl/openmw.git
$ cd openmw
$ git checkout osg
or:

Code: Select all

$ git clone git://github.com/OpenMW/openmw.git
$ cd openmw
$ git remote add scrawl git://github.com/scrawl/openmw.git
$ git fetch scrawl
$ git checkout scrawl/osg