Patching up

Feel free to discuss here about news on our blog
Okulo

Patching up

Post by Okulo »

It's been about a month since the release of 0.35.0 and we've gotten some news about crashes here and there. They have been fixed already, but situations like this beg for a patch. So that's what the team is putting out. 0.35.1 won't just contain crash fixes, though - we've still got a whole bunch of bugs fixed. Those will be included, of course.

What will also be included is a single feature: Controllers. Last year there was some work done on joystick support. It worked mostly, but not in a good enough state to warrant including it in OpenMW. Digmaster and scrawl have sufficiently advanced controller support now to make it into the next build. If you have a gamepad, why not give it a try? If your controller doesn't work properly, the team would like to hear about it.

After 0.35.1 the team will continue working a per usual on 0.36.0, so stick around.
claudekennilol

Re: Patching up

Post by claudekennilol »

This makes me wonder if I still have my homemade xbox controller -> pc adapter. Then it'd be just like I was playing it on my xbox. Of course, newer controllers have more buttons.. And of course, a keyboard has even more buttons...

And that reminds me, no more advanced hot keys because MWSE isn't supported.. Not to be a downer, but that's just one more reason for me to grumble about no MWSE support..
lysol

Post by lysol »

Yes, there are problems with not supporting mwse, but the risk is that if mwse were supported, then better solutions would never get developed. One example is Google dropping the support of flash for Android. Yes, it sucks in the beginning, but if we ever want to see a world without third party solutions like flash, then it needs to be done. Big "IMO" here obviously.
HiPhish

Post by HiPhish »

MWSE is just a band-aid solution to a problem which OpenMW aims to fix at its root. Without access to the source modifications had to be bolted on, but with OpenMW being open it can be done directly and cleanly at source level. It may suck at first, but eventually it will be better in the long run. Let's just wait for 1.0 for now.
DrCuddlebug

Post by DrCuddlebug »

Okulo wrote: What will also be included is a single feature: Controllers. Last year there was some work done on joystick support. It worked mostly, but not in a good enough state to warrant including it in OpenMW. Digmaster and scrawl have sufficiently advanced controller support now to make it into the next build. If you have a gamepad, why not give it a try? If your controller doesn't work properly, the team would like to hear about it.
Is the UI for controllers going to be changed? The original PC UI for Morrowind doesn't benefit controllers at all.
darthveda

Post by darthveda »

Okulo wrote:It's been about a month since the release of 0.35.0 and we've gotten some news about crashes here and there. They have been fixed already, but situations like this beg for a patch. So that's what the team is putting out. 0.35.1 won't just contain crash fixes, though - we've still got a whole bunch of bugs fixed. Those will be included, of course.

What will also be included is a single feature: Controllers. Last year there was some work done on joystick support. It worked mostly, but not in a good enough state to warrant including it in OpenMW. Digmaster and scrawl have sufficiently advanced controller support now to make it into the next build. If you have a gamepad, why not give it a try? If your controller doesn't work properly, the team would like to hear about it.

After 0.35.1 the team will continue working a per usual on 0.36.0, so stick around.

So after 2 long and tedious night my back hurts and my brain as well. I have morrowind and have had it for years. I read on the line last night that openmw supported gamepads i didn't hesitate to look at which it might support so I grabbed it anyway liking to open nature and the higher game resolutions. I am using a generic game controller with a motioninjoy driver. it's a steelseries gc3. In morowind it dosn't recognize the right analog stick whether it is in analog stick mode or not. It is also mimicing the keyboard and so when I tried moving the mouse and moving at the same time I couldn't strafe while looking. Any suggestions on the route I should take?