The Year of OpenMW

Feel free to discuss here about news on our blog
Okulo

The Year of OpenMW

Post by Okulo »

Happy 2015 everyone! Hopefully you had some great meals during the holidays and partied hard on New Year's Eve because now that January has rolled around, it's time for you to hit that treadmill again and work off those extra kilos you gained. Hop to it!

OpenMW continues to gain ground. In 2014 we have gone from 0.27.0 to 0.34.0. Don't remember 0.27.0? It was the version where Acrobatics and God Mode were implemented. The Morrowind community has also been noticing OpenMW a bit more. As part of his Morrowind Modding Interviews series, Darkelfguy had an interview with our project leader, Zini. You should totally check it out. Not only do you get to hear Zini speak perfect Angleutsch, you also get to learn some more about Zini himself, OpenMW and the Morrowind modding community in general.

Scrawl has been working hard throughout december on OpenMW. This guy has knowhow - and a lot of it. A lot of us fans do not have any background in programming and wouldn't know a pointer from a variable, so getting into the inner workings of OpenMW is not quite what we do on the frontpage. But it is damn interesting. That's why Scrawl has a really nice blog in which he talks about what he has been up to. His latest post is about parting OpenMW to Ogre 2.0. You should definitely check it out if you want to learn more about the nitty gritty details of development and what makes OpenMW tick. I'll let Scrawl himself talk about what he has been doing throughout December:
The first couple of days were spent catching up with the backlog of easy to fix bugs that had accumulated. Over the course of the two weeks, many more of these were discovered and fixed, some of which can be attributed to Tinker's efforts regarding a mod testing wiki page. I applaud this idea and must say I am very happy with the amount of polish we are getting these days.

A few NIF features were added: XYZ rotation keys, used among others by the "Containers Animated" mod are now supported.

The sound system was updated to account for various range limiting quirks in MW's sound system. This fixes excessively loud ambient sound volumes that were often noted by testers, and also bug #244 "Clipping/static in relation to the ghostgate sound" which is one of the most long-standing issues we have fixed in recent times.

The missing hotkeys for cycling the equipped weapon/spell have been implemented. That means all controls from the original game are now added; another category we can strike off the list. Nice! We have the head tracking for NPCs in place now, which means they will turn their head to follow the nearest actor. Hopefully this makes them seem a little less robotic. I might do more tweaking on it later, but I think it looks as good as in the original game already.

Lastly, a dialogue script testing switch was added. We often get bugs regarding script compilation errors, since OpenMW's script compiler is more strict than the original game's. There has been a --script-all switch to compile all scripts in the game and check for errors for a while now, but this didn't cover dialogue scripts. Now we can test dialogue scripts too, and several bugs were already found as result of this.

All in all, 0.35 is shaping up to an awesome release already. Not in terms of numbers, but the amount of polish we are getting and also the fixed ambient sound volume issue should be very appreciated by players.
But that's not all. This was just a selection of what Scrawl has written. Check out the full posts here and here to see what else Scrawl has done and how you as a player will notice!

Here's hoping 2015 will be just as productive as 2014 - for you, me and OpenMW alike. See you all next time.
kepinpin

Re: The Year of OpenMW

Post by kepinpin »

Happy New Year OpenMW!!!

Oh goodness this project is so wonderful, you people are angelic!

I am playing 0.34.0 until 2 - 3 am last holiday, squeeing all the way.

The game was just like I remembered, but without the frustration of game lags and crashes

I am dusting off that c++ book and hope that I can contribute to this wonderful wonderful project
dragondeathlord

Post by dragondeathlord »

Ok I swore I was not going to do this :oops: and it might get me banded for asking like a pest, but the suspense is KILLING ME! Whats the worsted case best case Schedule for Open MW 1.0 ??? And Please forgive my trespass! It just this dose not seem like a 0.35 to me when tested it a .90 maybe! It just seems so Complete that Number seem a tad Conservative! The Open construction set I could see needing so much more work. But 0.35 saying basically the Projects a little more than a third done! So how close are you guys? :oops: Again Apologies but that number scares a Lot testers off I myself thought it would crash and never tested till I say it hit 0.34! Many Years Ago I my Self Fried A Computer Alpha Testing A EA game. And I would think 0.34 or 0.35 as a Alpha but this thing a Master Piece and Looks nearly Done and is many Times More Stable on My system than My regular Morrowind!!Has not Crashed YET And I tried! :mrgreen: Tested 2 hours
Regular Official Steam Morrowind crashes a lot!

Specks
Dell Outlet Alienware 18 R3
Processor: Intel Core 4th Generation i7-4930MX Processor (8MB Cache, up to 4.3GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
32GB Dual Channel DDR3L at 1600MHz
two 1000 GB SATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive (7200 RPM) + 512GB mSATA Solid State Drive Os on the SSD
Slot-Load Dual Layer Blu-ray Combo (BR-ROM, DVD+/-RW, CD-RW)
Dual NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770M with 3GB GDDR5 - NVIDIA SLI Enabled
18.4 Inch WLED FHD (1920 X 1080) TrueLife Display
Windows 7 Ultimate
8-cell Lithium Ion (86 wHr) Battery
5.1 High Definition Realtek Audio
Broadcom 4352 802.11 ac 2x2 and Bluetooth 4.0
Eli2

Post by Eli2 »

dragondeathlord wrote:It just this dose not seem like a 0.35 to me when tested it a .90 maybe!
This seems to be a common misconception:
As soon as the game is ready, the version will switch to 1.0, no matter what version it was before.
If you want to get a sense about how far the project is, you should look at:
https://bugs.openmw.org/projects/openmw/roadmap
Tinker

Post by Tinker »

The number after the point is an incremental count, it does not indicate percent complete, so it might be decided that after 0.35 we go to 1.0 or it could be we get to 0.754 before being feature complete and going to 1.0.

Zini has already posted that 1.0 should be this year, you can get an idea of how far there is to go from the bug tracker, if you discount anything that is tagged for post 1.0 you will see there are only a few things to do, but the last 2% can take a lot longer to fix. Some of the listed problems have been fixed in theory but are awaiting an Ogre update to clear them.

Personally I am hoping for 1.0 before we get to 0.4, which could be April or May, but almost certainly it will be in the 0.4x releases, unless something drastic occurs. As usual with any software it will be ready when it is ready. Do not forget that 1.0 is not the end of the road it is best to regard it as the first beta release and after that all the improvements will be worked on.

But have fun with what is there now, you can play, I believe, all the 3 main quests and 90% plus of the side quests and many mod added ones.
dragondeathlord

Post by dragondeathlord »

@Eli2 @Tinker Thank you For clearing that up my confusion ! :D
sjek

Post by sjek »

and if you wanna play with console and modding the issues with filter-tracker-bug is kinda some ;)

https://bugs.openmw.org/projects/openmw/issues
if any look like you can test it by hopping in and give some additional needed data you'r welcome : )
big part of those are code related so being specific is a big plus

there's some old ones and feedback needed issues on the line time to time.
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

dragondeathlord wrote:Ok I swore I was not going to do this :oops: and it might get me banded for asking like a pest, but the suspense is KILLING ME!
I think people would be more bothered by your text being difficult to read (due to random capitalization, spelling errors, etc.) than they are by you showing genuine interest. ;)

If you have any questions, you can just ask them. We're not scary people.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Okulo wrote:If you have any questions, you can just ask them. We're not scary people.
Talk for yourself! :P