Music for OpenMW

OpenMW's very own demo, template and game to show off everything that OpenMW is capable of.

Moderator: Example suite forum moderator

Cassius

Music for OpenMW

Post by Cassius »

Hey guys,

I'm a young composer and I am absolutely smitten with the work you guys are putting in. I must also mention I am a rabid fan of TES: III. I really want to contribute to this project and was wondering if you would like or need any music made. Obviously it's a medieval-ish sound to the game, and I would certainly be able to provide that for you. Even if it isn't necessarily for the game, just one of the trailers or videos.

Here is a set of my electronic compositions:

http://soundcloud.com/isere (if you want to hear an orchestral-ish piece, listen to the Common Ascendant).

I also do acoustic guitar works, and I have a recording available if you want to hear that too.

http://soundcloud.com/joedeblasiomusic/

Many thanks,

-Joe
Greendogo

Re: Music for OpenMW

Post by Greendogo »

Hey, thanks for volunteering. We could always use someone who knows his way around sound and music, and we've only had a couple of volunteers in that area.

Just a few questions. From your post, I'm not actually sure if you're interested in helping out with music for the OpenMW Example Suite. The Example Suite is a separate game from Morrowind. We're billing it as a mini-game, in comparison to Morrowind, which will demonstrate the majority of features available in the OpenMW engine without the need for users to own Bethesda's Morrowind game. We will be providing assets, such as models, textures, the environment and yes, sound and music. It will totally replace the original game with a much much smaller one; you can think of it as a total conversion.

If you're still interested, I'd be happy to have your help, though it will be quite some time before we would really need any music.
Cassius

Post by Cassius »

Okay, no that's perfectly fine with me.

I've already started working on some ideas, even a full song. So if you ever need something even for a video or whatever, just let me what you want and I'll piece it together for you.
StraToN

Post by StraToN »

Nice songs you've got ;)

I listened to them all, the orchestral compositions are very interesting. "From Within" would have come great in a Deus Ex-like game with some modifications but i recognized Martin Luther King's famous speech. "Retrogression" reminded me of Startopia, a space colony management game that has songs that look alike that one. And "The Common Ascendant" reminded me a bit of Little Big Adventure (aka Relentless) in the style. Good job ! Looking forward for your new works.
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

That's some nice stuff there Cassius! Also, for a moment I thought there was an "r" at the beginning of your name and I was thinking about calling you "Uncle" ;)

Thanks for stopping by and volunteering!

P.S. I'm eventually going to have to make some sort of cinematic trailer for v1.0, and we don't have anything planned for music there yet :)
gus

Post by gus »

Quiet nice!

BTW, you know, if you want good free of right music, there is plenty of amazing classical music ;)
Cassius

Post by Cassius »

Alright well this is an idea for a song;

http://soundcloud.com/isere/azuras-grace

I hope you like it!
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

I really enjoyed that. It would make great adventuring music on our little island.

Just so you know, I don't mind what you name your music (Azura's Grace in this case), but we aren't setting this game in the Elder Scrolls universe, so Azura won't be present or associated with anything having to do with the Example Suite.
Zedd

Post by Zedd »

Good music man, keep it up.

I was wondering how to music system will be for the example suite, will it be like vanilla morrowind that we have non-combat region oriented music and combat music, or will we try out a new music system. Personally I'd love to see a bunch of specific event linked music (like boss fights, quests done, first time in a that cave, etc.) and non-linked music. It can give an amazing atmosphere when this is worked out well.
I guess we'll need some more music ;)
Chris

Post by Chris »

For start I imagine it'll be just like vanilla Morrowind. Battle music, non-battle music, and level up/death/main menu. That is, unless you want to use scripts to play other music tracks like the Better Music System mod, but that's more of a hack than an actual engine feature.