Oculus Rift

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Br0ken

Re: Oculus Rift

Post by Br0ken »

Seems like the Oculus SDK license is not GPL-compatible.
https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/v ... f=20&t=487

So, goodbye to Oculus Rift support? :(
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

From that thread:
So there you have it: The only way to legally use libovr with GPL'd apps is either if you're the sole copyright owner of your source code, you obtained official permission from all the current copyright holders or you use loopholes like a standalone app that networks with the GPL'd program in order to provide Oculus Rift support.
Br0ken

Post by Br0ken »

Okulo

Post by Okulo »

@Br0ken

Yeah, I'm all for that, actually. I will not be getting the Rift. Oculus is poisoning the VR well with its exclusives bullshit and I would hate for OpenMW to support that. Plus, if OpenMW supports OpenVR, it will support multiple devices. Not just the Vive, but any device that makes use of it. It's VR middleware.

I just wish they would open-source it.
Greywander

Post by Greywander »

I actually meant to ask a while back about the possibility of using Valve's OpenVR to get some kind of VR support. I think I didn't because it wouldn't have been implemented soon anyway (post 1.0 feature), and consumer headsets weren't (and still aren't, as far as I know) even out yet, and a lot could have changed between then and the release of consumer VR headsets and OpenMW 1.0.

Is OpenVR open source and/or GPL compatible? Even after reading the license, I'm still not sure. The source code appears to be available, though. Also, there's this, but again, I'm not entirely sure what it means: http://www.itworld.com/article/2923912/ ... ative.html

Speaking of, OSVR is another option. And it might allow compatibility with OpenVR, depending on what exactly is meant by OpenVR "joining" OSVR (the two might also simply merge together, which would probably be the optimal outcome). Either way, OSVR compatibility would at least allow some kind of VR implementation in OpenMW. Again, though, who knows what might change between now and the release of OpenMW 1.0, so things could be drastically different by then.

The Oculus Rift... eh. Apparently they don't even have Mac and Linux support yet. The Vive looks like it's going to be at least comparable if not slightly superior, and will release about the same time, too. It's odd that Oculus should have had a head start on everyone, and yet now they seem to be lagging behind (and that in spite of Facebook's funding no less). It's actually a little sad. The Rift was going to be the big thing that brought VR to the masses, but now it looks like it's going to be left in the dust as others overtake and surpass it. Ultimately good for us, but it's a little sad to remember what the Rift was supposed to be compared to where it is now. Makes you wonder what would have happened if Facebook hadn't bought Oculus.
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

Greywander wrote:Is OpenVR open source and/or GPL compatible? Even after reading the license, I'm still not sure. The source code appears to be available, though.
No, as I said, OpenVR is closed-source. The source code is not available.
Greywander wrote:The Oculus Rift... eh. Apparently they don't even have Mac and Linux support yet.
And for the forseeable future that's not gonna happen. They don't even have it on their timeline.
Greywander wrote:Makes you wonder what would have happened if Facebook hadn't bought Oculus.
We'd probably have an Oculus/Valve partnership. Oculus and Valve were working together. Then Valve got snubbed in favour of Facebook.
Lagahan

Post by Lagahan »

Okulo wrote: Yeah, I'm all for that, actually. I will not be getting the Rift. Oculus is poisoning the VR well with its exclusives bullshit and I would hate for OpenMW to support that.
I hate the fact that the first year or two is going to be an exclusives shitfest, but you can kinda see why at the same time. FB/OVR pumped money into these guys because they were very skeptical of it ever taking off, just like how Sony is also pumping money into the PSVR exclusives. I'd say after the ecosystem and all the SDKs settle we'll see multi-headset compatible ones.

As for no linux or open source support, that is utter BS from Oculus. IIRC all the SDK's up to 0.3.3 also had linux releases and then they just dropped it after the FB acquisition and 0.4 SDK and never mentioned a word about it.

Going to be a much rougher first year or 2 than it had to be. :(
Br0ken

Post by Br0ken »

Greywander wrote:Is OpenVR open source and/or GPL compatible? Even after reading the license, I'm still not sure.
It's closed source, but the licence is 3-clause BSD. Looks like GPL compatible...
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Br0ken wrote:
Greywander wrote:Is OpenVR open source and/or GPL compatible? Even after reading the license, I'm still not sure.
It's closed source, but the licence is 3-clause BSD. Looks like GPL compatible...
In order for it to be GPL compatible, then the source code has to be provided along with binaries.

If they do provide the source, then yes, the software becomes GPL when shipped with OpenMW.

Do they provide the source?

There is even an open ticket / issue about it:
https://github.com/ValveSoftware/openvr/issues/8
Br0ken

Post by Br0ken »

Hmm... Then easer to use the OSVR. Looks like it support OpenVR as SteamVR component.