Oculus Rift

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Nobby

Re: Oculus Rift

Post by Nobby »

Consumer Oculus is likely to be released in the next month year. From the reports of dev kits testers it is somewhat clear that this lovely device would probably come closer to an ideal (considering current level of tech evolution) consumer VR set than any other product in nearest future. So, having OpenWM to support Oculus would be insanely cool, aslo because finding oneself INSIDE Morrowind on the new engine should provide unforgetable experience, which even the largest screen available there will never be able to deliver.
In short, since VR era may jump out from the coner every other year, I would say that support of the most popular in nearest years VR device is not even just important, but essential as hell. :roll:

EDIT: just found out that consumer version won't ship till 2014 year, das is kinda sad. But the rest stated above is still valid =)
nopoe

Post by nopoe »

Looks like kojack finished his fork. Does anybody know if it is going to be merged? I hope so because I don't see OpenMW rift support happening if we have to switch to a fork of Ogre and lose any new features or bugfixes.

https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/v ... ?f=39&t=91
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Haha, it's not a fork, just an integration example - there are no modifications to Ogre involved ;)
We will likely use our own implementation anyway, mostly because we do not use Cg.
nopoe

Post by nopoe »

Oh wow, I thought that repo was for ogre, not a demo. Guess I didn't look to close. That's super neat then! I was feeling pretty glum because really now, who wants to modify Ogre and then maintain it? But now I'm going to go get hyped up again. :D
Br0ken

Post by Br0ken »

Oculus Rift Developer Kit 2 (DK2) is announced! Pre-orders start today for $350, ships in July 2014.

http://www.oculusvr.com/dk2/

dwcoates

Post by dwcoates »

Thanks br0ken. I think i'm gonna order that nifty little gadget
Br0ken

Post by Br0ken »

Morrowind with Oculus Rift - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNnASI16KTk
dwcoates

Post by dwcoates »

Obviously a lot of work to be done to make it a proper interface. I'm down for the project. Ordered my DK2
Br0ken

Post by Br0ken »

Okulo

Post by Okulo »

Mind you, the Gear is a stand-alone device that runs on Android...