Oculus Rift

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
ElderTroll

Oculus Rift

Post by ElderTroll »

Alright, here's a small request :lol: that may be better suited for the Ogre3d forums. Support for the Oculus Rift... http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/152 ... o-the-game It would be amazing to play Morrowind with this.

If anyone with more knowledge of how the OpenMW engine works and the feasibility of Oculus Rift support, please explain.

Even if it was compatibility breaking with Morrowind I think it's likely that post 1.0, OpenMW might fork into two projects. OpenMW would provide support for what currently exists in Morrowind modding. Another project, using OpenMW as its base, may develop that introduces compatibility breaking technology for mod makers and total conversions projects who don't need Morrowind compatibility.

This is where Oculus Rift support, or something akin to Tom's plans to support multiplayer for Project Aedra, may be introduced. Even as time goes by these two projects, OpenMW and its hypothetical spin off, could probably share some coding innovations with each other.
Tarius

Re: Oculus Rift

Post by Tarius »

This isnt going to break compatability, at least it shouldnt if the people making it have any talent. The main area this would require anything at all to is the graphics, it shouldnt effect game play. If the people making it are truely intelligent, they would make it so it could be used with any game with very little or no modifications. I would think that field of view is the only major thing that really would need tweaking.
Br0ken

Post by Br0ken »

nopoe

Post by nopoe »

The main area this would require anything at all to is the graphics, it shouldnt effect game play.
Not entirely correct. Oculus rift is more than just 3d LCD glasses. It's a full VR system. Meaning turning your head rotates the camera in-game. To my knowledge nobody is really sure how to combine mouse input and head rotation when determining camera orientation, but in Team Fortress 2 there are several different schemes for doing it. Once games start to set a standard OpenMW would have to implement the headset's gyro as an input device using the Oculus Rift SDK. Nothing ridiculously difficult but I'm not sure about how Zini would feel about adding it to the master branch.

My take? Cool feature that I want to see implemented. I think it will come around the same time as gamepad support, assuming the Oculus rift is a raging success. After that if it's not and never if ends up being a fad.
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

nopoe wrote:
The main area this would require anything at all to is the graphics, it shouldnt effect game play.
Not entirely correct. Oculus rift is more than just 3d LCD glasses. It's a full VR system. Meaning turning your head rotates the camera in-game. To my knowledge nobody is really sure how to combine mouse input and head rotation when determining camera orientation, but in Team Fortress 2 there are several different schemes for doing it. Once games start to set a standard OpenMW would have to implement the headset's gyro as an input device using the Oculus Rift SDK. Nothing ridiculously difficult but I'm not sure about how Zini would feel about adding it to the master branch.

My take? Cool feature that I want to see implemented. I think it will come around the same time as gamepad support, assuming the Oculus rift is a raging success. After that if it's not and never if ends up being a fad.
I suppose you are correct. I wasnt thinking about movement. However, I know how you would do it. Know those Wii controllers? You do it like that. Obviously its a bit more complex then simply saying do it, but the tech and what not is there, its simply a matter of application.
Really I think it would still need a controller though.
mjmax

Post by mjmax »

Has anyone on the team ordered one? I'm not a dev, mostly a lurker, but I should have an Oculus kit coming in early June and I'm trying to learn.
Wookiee

Post by Wookiee »

Actually it is fairly simple to combine the oculus orientation with mouse, if the oculus is the cameras local rotation and the normal controls do as they do now (cut out the pan up and down as this can get a little funky). But you can give options like TF2 did before the last patch broke oculus support.

The vanilla sky-box wont work real well and effects that move the player make you want to throw up almost instantly, and menus may need to be "pushed back" and squashed into the center a bit. Also games that assume no yaw sometimes have problems with dynamic shadows but to my knowledge ogre is fine with this, not even sure morrowind had dynamic shadows, or may be a max of 4 or something, memory is bad.

Got mine yesterday and been messing with it, came in here as I had the same idea about implementing it and wondered if anyone was yet, 2eyeguy has done a oculus mod for doom 3 by going to the open source code and implementing it there rather than doing these driver hacks you see with skyrim and I think morrowind would be perfect as well. Will have to wade through the sauce as it is and I am one hell of a messy coder but I would like to give it a shot, however if anyone is halfway decent at coding I think everyone would be much happier if they did it :D I can see Zini's face now when/if he gets my pull request. "Tha fuck is this chicken vomit?!"

The guys should ignore oculus support for openmw until after they hit the important 1.0 at any rate, it is not mission critical and it is not even really publicly accessible yet. But that does not mean we cannot grab the code and mess with it ourselves.

But there is no reason it cannot be implemented really well. The 1st_Person_Hands.nif may need to be reworked but its very doable.

Regards, Wook.
nopoe

Post by nopoe »

Actually it is fairly simple to combine the oculus orientation with mouse, if the oculus is the cameras local rotation and the normal controls do as they do now (cut out the pan up and down as this can get a little funky). But you can give options like TF2 did before the last patch broke oculus support.
When I said nobody is really sure, I just meant nobody is really sure how to do it right. It's really easy to do it in a way that is usable, but I don't think anybody has really developed something standard that feels like an extension of the body, which is what people should be aiming for.

In other words I don't think anybody knows which of TF2's modes is the best.
Wookiee

Post by Wookiee »

No I think you are dead right there. Still playing with control schemes myself, and may be TF2 has gone about it the right way by implementing tons of options to play with, the default is still my favorite.

Just finished playing a hour of TF2 testing out the modes... aaaand I feel sick.

Most people in the oculus dev forums talk about getting your VR legs. An hour today is much longer than the 10 mins I could handle at a time last night.

Morrowind will be much the same if/when it is implemented, find what feels natural and hopefully you already have you VR legs, takes time.

Sorry I misinterpreted your post the first time round.

Regards, Wook.
Wookiee

Post by Wookiee »

Update: Turns out Kojack is already working on a (personal?) oculus implementation into OGRE, may wait to see what happens there.