Oculus Rift

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
ajira2

Re: Oculus Rift

Post by ajira2 »

psi29a wrote: 03 Dec 2018, 11:29
ajira2 wrote: 03 Dec 2018, 11:01 I would like as well to test it with OpenMW, but it is ready yet? What are the steps for doing that?
First thing you do is try to convince the Oculus Rift people to change their license to something GPL compatible.
All right, easy stuff, I'm texting John Carmack right now.

PS: No.
PS2: Just joking xD
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Isn't facebook now?
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

The official line from Kronos is still that OpenXR will release in late 2018, so that's definitely going to happen in the next 28 days and we'll all be saved.

At this point, it's more likely to be delayed until some point next year, but there are so many groups involved and wanting it to happen that it's going to release at some point, even if it's a decade away.
HeadClot

Post by HeadClot »

Hey,

I know that GPL compatibility is a big deal. So I did some digging on license compatibility with Open VR and the GPL.

BSD 3 clause and BSD 2 clause is compatible with the GPL as per the Free Software foundation. Source. However BSD 4-clause is not compatible with the GPL.
SquireNed

Post by SquireNed »

If OpenVR implementation becomes a thing, I'd be happy to test on my WMR setup.
mrhatkat

Post by mrhatkat »

So we can use OpenVR? That's great. I've worked with OpenVR in the past and would like to contribute to the project. What's the proper channels I should go through to suggest the feature and get some guidelines on the structure of the project?
Br0ken

Post by Br0ken »

cercata

Post by cercata »

This GPL thing is really a no sense, if we apply that, then OpenMW couldn't run on Windows because of the same reason.

The runtime required is something the user has already installed in his computer, is not something you have to distribute with the MOD.

The Dolphin team used that as an excuse to get rid of Carl Kenner, because of his political comments.
mjmax wrote: 01 Aug 2017, 19:00They also have a GPL license, so it seems like OpenXR would be a match once it finally releases.
OpenXR uses the Oculus, SteamVR and WMR apis, if they can be GPL, then OpenMW can too:

AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

This GPL thing is really a no sense, if we apply that, then OpenMW couldn't run on Windows because of the same reason.
The GPL has a thing called the System Library Exception (https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.ht ... yException) - this basically says that you can link against the libraries provided by a proprietary OS, but doesn't go quite as far as covering the Occulus SDK and things like that.
The Dolphin team used that as an excuse to get rid of Carl Kenner, because of his political comments.
The Dolphin VR fork was treated as something illegal but that should be ignored for quite a while - Dolphin's developers knew it violated their licence, but were genuinely interested in where it might go, so no one actually complained. Eventually (for whatever reason) someone who'd contributed to Dolphin did have a problem with there being a licence violation, and then they were legally obligated to exercise their right to put a stop to it. It wasn't that an excuse was come up with after the fact - I remember a dev (although I don't remember which one) telling someone they were technically in violation of the licence so their fork could never get merged before the fork even did anything. (That thread might have been hidden so it didn't look like Dolphin's devs were encouraging licence violations. There might be other minor inaccuracies in my story as it was years ago that these things happened.)

Some of Dolphin's developers have spent a lot of time nagging Valve to make OpenVR GPL-compatible. That wouldn't have been necessary if that were the case already.
OpenXR uses the Oculus, SteamVR and WMR apis, if they can be GPL, then OpenMW can too:
OpenXR isn't going to be GPL. It's going to be GPL-compatible. There are GPL-compatible licences that are also compatible with proprietary software. The key thing is that OpenXR can link against one or more of those libraries, but it doesn't have to, so when you link against an OpenXR library, you've not linked against anything GPL-incompatible.
cercata

Post by cercata »

Hey, OpenXR just arrived:
https://www.khronos.org/news/press/khro ... -ecosystem

AnyOldName3 wrote: 29 Jul 2019, 14:45The GPL has a thing called the System Library Exception (https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.ht ... yException) - this basically says that you can link against the libraries provided by a proprietary OS, but doesn't go quite as far as covering the Occulus SDK and things like that.
So you can link to WMR because it comes with Windows, but not to OpenVR o OculusSDK because the user isntalled it.

It's no sense for me, the importante thing for me is that every user that will try to run OpenMW in VR will have one of those libraries installed, so it's part of their OS.

AnyOldName3 wrote: 29 Jul 2019, 14:45The key thing is that OpenXR can link against one or more of those libraries, but it doesn't have to, so when you link against an OpenXR library, you've not linked against anything GPL-incompatible.
It does have to link with at least one of the libraries, and none of them are GPL friendly ... so the dependency is still there until there is something GPL friendly underneath.

On Windows builds I mean, if we stick to that no sense, OpenXR should be included only on Linux builds.