quick keys improvement

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
sirherrbatka

quick keys improvement

Post by sirherrbatka »

The 9 keys to use is not enough... unless you can put few iteams under the one key. For example I like to have my "Ultra Jump" spell and "Amulet of slowfall" under the key 8. I press 8 and ultra jump is selected as it's the first position on the list. After pressing 8 again i cycle trough the rest of the 8 list. If i want to select amulet of slowfall i just press 8 two times.

To avoid picking up all position along the list before selecting right one maybe in case of multiple postiotions under a quick key a small menu should appear after pressing quick key and you should confirm selecting this position by clicking mouse button or pressing some key. Just like in half-life.

Another idea: can we get possibility to use (take on) few equipment pieces at once with one quick key?
Tarius

Re: quick keys improvement

Post by Tarius »

Yea, following a known successful game like Half Life is a good move.(of course, I have a 5 button mouse, so I never really use the quick keys, haha)

I would suggest though, that any empty quick-key slots be auto assigned. If they player wants to change them, they always can. This way, when you get your first use 'things' like an amulet, you wont have to assign it yourself.(just make sure that if the player wants something assigned to slot 8(etc) and there are only like 2 items available to be assigned, that they arnt prevented from doing so)
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

well...

1) Basic offensive spell for racers and stuff.
2) Alternative basic offensive spell for resistant enemy.
3) Large area offensive spell.
4) Ultra powerfull offensive spell to kill hard guys.
5) Paralyze.

And so I have used 5 quick keys for just offensive magic. No healing, invisibilty, protection, weapons, potions, levitation, jumping stuff, intervention. :/
Chris

Post by Chris »

sirherrbatka wrote:The 9 keys to use is not enough... unless you can put few iteams under the one key. For example I like to have my "Ultra Jump" spell and "Amulet of slowfall" under the key 8. I press 8 and ultra jump is selected as it's the first position on the list. After pressing 8 again i cycle trough the rest of the 8 list. If i want to select amulet of slowfall i just press 8 two times.
How would this work with potions and other instant-use items?

Or as in your example, you have a spell and an amulet. To select the amulet you first have to select the spell, but what if you don't want your current spell changed?
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

What about simply the use of a modifier key for another set of 1-9 assignments?
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

@Chris
Or as in your example, you have a spell and an amulet. To select the amulet you first have to select the spell, but what if you don't want your current spell changed?
As I wrote, We can just try to duplicate half-life like behavior. Pressing quick key with position group opens a small menu that you navigate by pressing quick key again or in any other manners. When you selected right position just press mouse button (or key on keyboard) to confirm the choice.
How would this work with potions and other instant-use items?
Probabbly in the most simple way ─ selecting = using. Not very good but still you can reserve keys only for potions.
Chris

Post by Chris »

sirherrbatka wrote:As I wrote, We can just try to duplicate half-life like behavior. Pressing quick key with position group opens a small menu that you navigate by pressing quick key again or in any other manners. When you selected right position just press mouse button (or key on keyboard) to confirm the choice.
I'm not very familiar with the way Half-Life does it. How would this differ from the Favorites menu introduced in Skyrim? Or probably the Categorized Favorites Menu mod?
Probabbly in the most simple way ─ selecting = using. Not very good but still you can reserve keys only for potions.
The idea with the quick keys, though, is that they're quick. Just press it and it's done. Having it bring up another menu goes against that premise.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iLr3Ssv ... re=related

here is the video. It worked the same way in half-life 1 it's easy and quick to select needed gun.