Language translation for openMW softwares

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
freem

Language translation for openMW softwares

Post by freem »

I am pretty sure that this is not the good place for that, but I do not know in which section I should have put it so...

Here are my questions:
I have seen in openmw launcher that strings are prepared to being translated.
Are they in openmw itself too?

How to translate text strings with Qt?

If it is actually possible to translate openmw main program's strings, how to do?

I know that several projects use .po files for this, but I only rarely use Qt programs (and the few I use have a really good reason to stay on my computer btw :D ) and so I never paid attention on how they translate themselves.

Contributing to openmw's code is currently not in my possibilities, but translations are so less time consuming that I think I could at least handle a language.
And as I can see on news, there is not only one language which could be handled.
I know that it is probably too early to have frozen strings, and that many of them could change, but it is not a problem for me. Keeping an eye on commits is not very hard, and it is less boring to translate some sentence each months than translate a whole software in one shot.
Zini

Re: Language translation for openMW softwares

Post by Zini »

Not sure about the launcher. We haven't thought about that yet. Not very high own the priority list, to be honest.

OpenMW itself does not have any strings, except for error messages maybe. All text that you are seeing when playing Morrowind/OpenMW comes from the esm/esp files.
pvdk

Post by pvdk »

For the launcher translation is quite easy. Qt provides excellent translation tools and I developed the code with transation in mind, so every user-visible string is translatable. I messed around with it before because Okulo offered to translate the launcher into Dutch, but nothing much came from it.
If this is something we want I can create a branch for it on GitHub and write a small how-to on the wiki.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Zini wrote: All text that you are seeing when playing Morrowind/OpenMW comes from the esm/esp files.
Almost all text. We currently have some new strings in the settings window. When the time comes, we should probably translate them but it's too low priority to worry about now, imo.

In any case, it would make sense to use the same translation tools for the launcher and the (non-gameplay related) new game strings. Does QT have any facilities to use GNU gettext ? Its the quasi-standard for translation and can be used with Launchpad as an online tool for translators.
freem

Post by freem »

I know that the priority of such feature is very low, but I thought that such work is pretty easy and the translation itself can be made by non-programmers, so I could have done both.

After doing some research on the web, it seems Qt Linguist support GNU Gettext PO format since v4.5 (source: http://doc.trolltech.com/4.5-snapshot/qt4-5-intro.html)
I also have found a wrapper library but it seems unmaintained since a year (http://code.google.com/p/simple-gettext/source/list).
And the last potentially interesting thing I have found is that GNU Gettext seems to support Qt format (http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/man ... 002dformat).

I did not verify those informations, just found them.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

yes, qt supports po files. I translated one small KDE toy and it was quite easy.