Modern Artwork For OpenMW?

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Losted Shadows

Modern Artwork For OpenMW?

Post by Losted Shadows »

I'm just wondering, are you plannig to improve opon the original artwork (meshes/textures) of Morrowind?

I'm an active player of the original Morrowind, however the low detail of the world (and even more so the people in it) is quite bad, at least these days. So recreating the game with the same graphics is not really what I would call a good idea. No point having fancy new shaders if the world still looks old.

By the way, great job on the project. I can tell that even as it is it has been a massive lot of coding. I never thought anyone would ever try this, I've been looking around for a while, but I was alway under the impression it would be nearly impossable.

p.s. if you don't want to improve the graphics, at least improve the animations, they were to stiff.

Thanks, Losted Shadows.
Losted Shadows

Re: Modern Artwork For OpenMW?

Post by Losted Shadows »

I have also noticed that i put this in the wrong post... Sorry about that.
Epsilon

Post by Epsilon »

Losted Shadows wrote:I'm just wondering, are you plannig to improve opon the original artwork (meshes/textures) of Morrowind?

I'm an active player of the original Morrowind, however the low detail of the world (and even more so the people in it) is quite bad, at least these days. So recreating the game with the same graphics is not really what I would call a good idea. No point having fancy new shaders if the world still looks old.

By the way, great job on the project. I can tell that even as it is it has been a massive lot of coding. I never thought anyone would ever try this, I've been looking around for a while, but I was alway under the impression it would be nearly impossable.

p.s. if you don't want to improve the graphics, at least improve the animations, they were to stiff.

Thanks, Losted Shadows.
I won't speak for the project team as a whole, but this seems like something better left to the modders.

As I understand it, OpenMW is working on the game engine itself - that is to say, to provide an open-source version of Morrowind that can run the original .esm files, all the mods in the community, and fix some of the more egregious bugs in the system (e.g. some of the sorts of things fixed by the Morrowind Code Patch, but not all - stuff like savegame corruption or "the unarmored bug.")

We've already got Better Bodies/Heads in the Morrowind modding community, and they've got beautiful meshes. I know I've seen a remeshed/reanimated Nix hound out there as well - not sure about any other mesh/animation fixes that are out there already. It just seems like it's outside the scope of this project.
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

I am one of the people that does improvements of the original meshes. Aside from me, a few other people have done stuff as well.

I would say that out of all the meshes, only about half have probably been replaced.(but thats just an estimate)
The bodies have been replaced but could stand an update. There are plenty of meshes that dont need any updates as they are supposed to be boxy to begin with; for example, the boxes and crates, and things like certain shelves. I know that many of the rocks have been replaced with higher poly versions as well, and these are suedo-bump mapped. Many plants have been updated. Hmm, now that I think of it, th major thing that could probably use updating would be the dwemer stuff, I dont think anyone has really paid much attention to it.(some is done, but nothing comprehensive)

Work for the Province: Cyrodiil mod keeps me from being that productive here, but I have done a few things in the last several days, so you can expect another 2 dozen meshes or something like that once I feel like releasing stuff; probably in the next week or month, shouldnt be that far off.
Epsilon

Post by Epsilon »

Tarius wrote:I am one of the people that does improvements of the original meshes. Aside from me, a few other people have done stuff as well.

I would say that out of all the meshes, only about half have probably been replaced.(but thats just an estimate)
The bodies have been replaced but could stand an update. There are plenty of meshes that dont need any updates as they are supposed to be boxy to begin with; for example, the boxes and crates, and things like certain shelves. I know that many of the rocks have been replaced with higher poly versions as well, and these are suedo-bump mapped. Many plants have been updated. Hmm, now that I think of it, th major thing that could probably use updating would be the dwemer stuff, I dont think anyone has really paid much attention to it.(some is done, but nothing comprehensive)

Work for the Province: Cyrodiil mod keeps me from being that productive here, but I have done a few things in the last several days, so you can expect another 2 dozen meshes or something like that once I feel like releasing stuff; probably in the next week or month, shouldnt be that far off.
And this is why I won't speak for the project team. :P

Cool - didn't know that's what you were doing, Tarius. ^_^
Zini

Post by Zini »

To make sure that there are no misunderstandings: We are not doing any model or other content improvements. Not now, not ever. That is a task for the MW modding community. What we are doing is to extend OpenMW so that modders have more options when making these improvements.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

Artwork has nothing to do with this project. Even if somebody will decide to use our engine to deliver better artwork there is absolutely no reason that this should become the part of our project.
Chris

Post by Chris »

I think the biggest things that need updating would be animations and physics. Unfortunately animations are hard to do on their own, and as I understand it, it's especially difficult with Morrowind because the underlying skeletons for NPCs are shaped oddly, and fixing that would require re-rigging all the NPC models (clothing, armor, skins, etc).

Physics though is more in the realm of what OpenMW can help with. It'd likely need small(ish) updates to the models and world data, but ragdoll physics, cloth, wind, etc, are things the engine needs to support for it to work. Eventually hopefully OpenMW will properly work with Ogre's .mesh and .skeleton files, which should make it easier to support some of this stuff, since AFAIK, the more "advanced" parts of the NIF format, Bethesda's extensions in particular, haven't been fully worked out.
HiPhish

Post by HiPhish »

Most of the assets are good enough but the heads are just horrible, especially male bosmer faces :shock: For whatever reason Bethesda just cannot get faces right, even in Oblivion everyonw looked like they were stuck somewhere in the process of an allergic shock. I can do without the model replacement mods, but Better Heads is a must-have.
ezzetabi

Post by ezzetabi »

We can just hope that will be possible to do something like morrowind 2011 for OpenMW without absurd complains.

Maybe the real question is, openmw team will be interested to keep a link to such a project?