Marked Improvements, ?fixes

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
sirherrbatka

Re: Marked Improvements, ?fixes

Post by sirherrbatka »

hi abot, nice to see you on our forum.

Please, look at this topic viewtopic.php?f=6&t=617

Compatibility with current mods IS our priority, at least those that do not use MGE, MWSE or ME or other hacks. Mods like that do require hacks in order to work won't be supported but with openmw you will be able to make mods that are doing the same in sane way. For example you do not need MWSE to make multiple teleportation marks mod for openmw already.

We are not supporting all the features of morrowind engine at the moment but that is our goal.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

abot wrote:A note to help if compatibility is still a priority: several mods use the automatic resizing of scripted objects back to 0.5 - 2.0 range on reload as game-reload detector.
In this case, you're saying that some mods need a "game-reload detector". I think post-1.0 things that mods need like this should be added as their own official script function. You shouldn't have to use hacks in order to get something to work.

Anyways, I foresee a lot of OpenMW compatibility patches in our future.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

No, community is not strong as It used to be and many mods won't be patched. We need compatibility.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Greendogo wrote:In this case, you're saying that some mods need a "game-reload detector".
Of course, one must question why such a thing is needed in the first place. A game save is a snapshot of the game state, which is a culmination of everything that has happened up to that point. Loading the save, then, is restoring the game to that precise moment. As far as the game is concerned, loading a save should put it in the same exact state as when the player hit "Save". To scripts and other data functions, it should be seen it as one long continuous unbroken play session.

IMO, if it's at all possible for the game data to tell it's been reloaded, there's something that needs fixing. Either some state isn't being saved correctly, or something's malfunctioning so as to behave in an incorrect manner when given the game state.
ezzetabi

Post by ezzetabi »

Wait a second... You mean that "abot", is not just any bot... but THAT abot? The one of "Water life" and "Where Are All Birds Going?"... Well, I just loved your work. It made the land of morrowind so much better. Thanks.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

don't forget about guar mod. :-)
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

ezzetabi wrote:Wait a second... You mean that "abot", is not just any bot... but THAT abot? The one of "Water life" and "Where Are All Birds Going?"... Well, I just loved your work. It made the land of morrowind so much better. Thanks.
Dont fan mob him. He regularly posts in the bethsoft forums. And hey, I am the guy who remade the Oblivion ayleid ruins for MW for the mod Province: Cyrodiil.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

No Tarius. I'm sorry but you are not as cool as abot. :lol:

Only kidding.
Zini

Post by Zini »

I just implemented the re-scaling to [0.5, 2]. Since there are mods that depend on this mechanism, we have no choice but to reimplement it. But it will be one of the first things we get rid of after 1.0, controlled via a new GMST, so we don't break compatibility.
ezzetabi

Post by ezzetabi »

Tarius wrote:
ezzetabi wrote:Wait a second... You mean that "abot", is not just any bot... but THAT abot? The one of "Water life" and "Where Are All Birds Going?"... Well, I just loved your work. It made the land of morrowind so much better. Thanks.
Dont fan mob him. He regularly posts in the bethsoft forums. And hey, I am the guy who remade the Oblivion ayleid ruins for MW for the mod Province: Cyrodiil.
There are lots of good mods around, but "Water life" and "Where Are All Birds Going?" improved the whole game for me. Better immersion is what I seek more in mods.
Zini wrote:I just implemented the re-scaling to [0.5, 2]. Since there are mods that depend on this mechanism, we have no choice but to reimplement it. But it will be one of the first things we get rid of after 1.0, controlled via a new GMST, so we don't break compatibility.
I see a problem here, if anyone uses an old mod (that expect the Morrowind behavior) and a new mod (that expect the OpenMW behavior) one of the two will not work correctly.
I think it would be better add a new function altogether like UnlimitedScale...