Marked Improvements, ?fixes

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Tes96

Re: Marked Improvements, ?fixes

Post by Tes96 »

Zini wrote:
And speaking of limits, would you happen to know if the scale limit for items will still be .5-2?
No, it is not.
Sorry for necromancing this thread but I was curious about this post. Are you referring to how large the items actually are in Morrowind? i.e. the misc_com_bottles being larger than a person's head. Seriously, they're the size of a 5 liter bottle.

Also, does OpenMW have height limits?
Zini

Post by Zini »

All objects have a native size that is defined by the 3D model. This size can be scaled up or down by a factor (via scripts). This factor is what we are talking about.

Regarding height limits: I don't think we an absolutely high limit (within reason of course, nothing is infinite on a computer). However there are still limits on height changes in the ESM file format. This limitation is unchanged, i.e. from one spot to the next you can't change height more rapidly than in vanilla MW.
Tes96

Post by Tes96 »

Zini wrote:All objects have a native size that is defined by the 3D model. This size can be scaled up or down by a factor (via scripts). This factor is what we are talking about.

Regarding height limits: I don't think we an absolutely high limit (within reason of course, nothing is infinite on a computer). However there are still limits on height changes in the ESM file format. This limitation is unchanged, i.e. from one spot to the next you can't change height more rapidly than in vanilla MW.
My main concern is, will modders be able to make super high or deep terrain in the exterior and interior worlds without having problems with the engine? i.e. SHOTN will eventually get to High Hrothgar and design the 7,000 steps, which will be extremely high.

And what about being able to levitate super high, past the clouds? Eventually I'd like to be able to levitate all the way to Jode and Jone (Masser and Secunda) the two moons. Would the height map go that high up? Also, I'm sure you've noticed that when you fall indefinitely in an interior cell, the gamebryo engine pops you back up to your initial starting point. Will OpenMW do that? or just let you fall?

Also, my cave goes very deep and I would fall through the cave tile sets at the very bottom because they were so low. That is, unless I placed a static object beneath that area, like a rock or boulder or something. Does OpenMW carry that burden?
silentthief

Post by silentthief »

This is a bunch of uncharted territory that will be tested in the (hopefully near) future. When dealing with the original landmass, including tribunal and bloodmoon, the land seems to load fine. When people start modifying/TC-ing/using other land we shall see. I know the height limit you are talking about in vanilla, if you make a heightmap and TES-Annwyn it into a landmass for MW it forces a cutoff because the engine has a maximum height it will accept, then everything else is flattened above (and theoretically below the negative same value). Strangely enough, the vanilla construction set had either no such limit or a larger because it would let you make the land higher but when you played or play-tested it was flat.

Again, the modding/modifying/openCS side is slower to develop and bugtest. So, stay tuned... we will address this area soon enough
ST
ps, I'm not a dev, just someone who follows this forum pretty regularly. perhaps someone more "officail" can add to what I said...