Alchemy screen Mark III

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
sirherrbatka

Re: Alchemy screen Mark III

Post by sirherrbatka »

We won't force poor scrawl to do extra job and democracy is overrated so my guess is:

Let's allow to do anything scrawl wants to. If it will suck badly we can think about fixing it.
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

sirherrbatka wrote:We won't force poor scrawl to do extra job and democracy is overrated so my guess is:

Let's allow to do anything scrawl wants to. If it will suck badly we can think about fixing it.
You are right, democracy is over-rated, thats why we have republics.
ezzetabi

Post by ezzetabi »

The point is giving him ideas. But the final word is his.
It is a way that works well in my experience. Talk, discuss, share ideas even get annoyed,but once time is up. The ONE decides, and that's it.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

I like your ideas, but I think the "saved recipes" is a post-1.0 thing (given that it will need an extension of ESX files in order to actually save them). So I have not included them in the first version of the layout that I just made. It is not pretty at all (but includes all widgets) so maybe someone could have a go at editing it (moving stuff around mostly, i guess), while I implement the code for making potions?

http://scrawl.bplaced.net/perm/alchemy.png

the file is in this branch in files/mygui/openmw_alchemy_window_layout.xml (re-run cmake after editing it)

Btw, I liked the third one in this post the most (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22081676/Alchem ... 20alt3.jpg), maybe it can be based on that one minus the saved recipes list / button (and put the create and cancel button on the same height, then)
Zini

Post by Zini »

I like your ideas, but I think the "saved recipes" is a post-1.0 thing (given that it will need an extension of ESX files in order to actually save them)
That is not fully correct. I agree that this would be a post-1.0 feature, but there is no need for an ESX extension here, since those saved recipes would be stored in the saved game files and not in the ESX files.
Putting pre/post-1.0 distinctions aside, the problem would be that you can't have any new strings (e.g. "Saved Recipes") in the GUI, because these would need to be localised through new GMSTs, which indeed would require that we extend the format and have our editor available.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

We don't have to use GMST's. We can use gettext to translate all strings which are introduced by openmw (for example the launcher strings as well). Also, gettext has better tools available (e.g. launchpad)
Zini

Post by Zini »

No, we can't, because we need to have the ability to vary these strings based on the selected ESX files (for localisation and other purposes).
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Do we want to be able to change the used alchemy tools? Wouldn't say that it's necessary, there is no reason to use worse tools?
Zini

Post by Zini »

For now we shouldn't bother with that. It might become an interesting option after 1.0, depending on how we are generalising and extending the Alchemy skill.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

So how can I insert a new base object into the store, when creating a potion?