OpenMW Launcher option for changing Data Files path

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Greendogo

OpenMW Launcher option for changing Data Files path

Post by Greendogo »

Ok, I know you guys want to keep the launcher really nice and minimalistic, but I think for sure that I'm the only guy currently modding and developing a plugin for OpenMW as of yet, so believe me when I say that needing to open the config file every time I need to change the data files path is getting really tedious.

I have a suggestion that can make everyone happy. If we are going to have profiles for loading specific lists of plugins, can we also have the ability to change the data files directory for a new profile? That way we could have multiple data file paths for different profiles; this would even make total conversions easier to use without needing to mess with the Morrowind install's data files or the OpenMW config file.

I'd really appreciate this feature, and if you guys could figure out a way to implement it without upsetting the pro-minimalist-launcher guys, I'd be really happy! Pretty please with sugar on top!
Zini

Re: OpenMW Launcher option for changing Data Files path

Post by Zini »

That was already discussed a while back. It is not so simple, because there are multiple data paths used at the same time. Adding an UI to handle this properly would be anything but trivial.
Also this feature would only be useful when you want to make sure that you are not using any of the vanilla MW resources (for a TC that does not require the original game). We will eventually have to come up with a better resources management system that can handle this case. For now as a workaround you can specify the data directory on the command line (and create a alias/desktop shortcut/whatever for it).
ezzetabi

Re: OpenMW Launcher option for changing Data Files path

Post by ezzetabi »

Maybe you should develop a program that edits the config file automagically.