When will it no longer be necessary to manually edit openmw.cfg to list mod data?

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
mikeprichard

When will it no longer be necessary to manually edit openmw.cfg to list mod data?

Post by mikeprichard »

In which approximate future release version will openmw eliminate the need to manually edit the openmw.cfg file to list the destination folders for any active mod .bsas and plugins (as described at https://openmw.readthedocs.io/en/latest ... stall.html); i.e., integrate this step within the openmw launcher process? Cheers!
akortunov

Re: When will it no longer be necessary to manually edit openmw.cfg to list mod data?

Post by akortunov »

There are no approximations in such projects. Feature X is done when it is done.
mikeprichard

Re: When will it no longer be necessary to manually edit openmw.cfg to list mod data?

Post by mikeprichard »

Naturally I realize that, but thought it might be in the works, so I'd ask.
Last edited by mikeprichard on 07 Dec 2019, 20:39, edited 1 time in total.
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

I plan to work on it but it may take a while until I get to that.
mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Great - thanks, Capostrophic! I'm not sure how you and akortunov find the time to do everything you do for openmw, but the project wouldn't be nearly as advanced as it already is without your contributions.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

In the meantime, you can use Mod Organizer 2's OpenMW Export plugin to fill in openmw.cfg for you. If you're on Windows, it works just fine, and also lets you use tools like MLOX and let them see OpenMW's VFS. If you're on Linux, then MO2 can be used under Wine, but its VFS won't work (it will work sometimes on master-branch Wine if you build it yourself but not in any existing Wine release yet) so you can't use tools like MLOX, and also the OpenMW Export plugin isn't Wine-aware, so will fill the config file with Windows paths instead of Unix paths, so it'll still require manual tweaking.
mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

I never used Mod Organizer (I always preferred Wrye Mash/Bash to mod TES games), and editing the .cfg file manually is only a minor annoyance since I have a fairly small mod list, but that is good to know - thanks to AnyOldName3 and again Capo for the constructive replies!