Suggestion: Discord server

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Nocturnalx36

Suggestion: Discord server

Post by Nocturnalx36 »

Maybe this is off-topic for this sub-forum, maybe not, maybe there's already a discord and I just missed it or it's not publicly advertised. At any rate, how about a OpenMW discord server? It'd be a good, hassle free way for users or developers to talk, get help, etc. Just a thought.
AnyOldName3

Re: Suggestion: Discord server

Post by AnyOldName3 »

There's already a Discord server.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

To expand on AnyOldName3's answer: It should be this one.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

To expand further, we don't publicise it as we don't want to be seen to be promoting a piece of proprietary software. We have IRC, too, but unfortunately, it isn't as feature-rich.
Nocturnalx36

Post by Nocturnalx36 »

Thanks a lot everyone, also thanks for the invite link. Sorry for the pointless suggestion thread lol.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Right... we seem to be tap-dancing around this whole issues which is retarded. Sorry to hijack this thread, but I feel it appropriate considering that we don't advertise something that people are asking for.

Let's be very honest here, OpenMW is a FOSS software project that indirectly makes use of closed sourced software and hardware. To name a few:
* git-hosting: github (still)
* IDEs: CLion, MSVC
* Communication: discord, webmail (gmail, hotmail, yahoo, whatever)
* CDN: cloudflair (protects us again bad actors and bandwidth costs)

The good news is, OpenMW is not reliant on any of these things. That is the point. They are just tools that are nice to have but aren't necessary for OpenMW.

I'm not going to pretend (and neither should anyone else) that people use whatever tools they want. That's freedom to choose the right tool for the right problem. I don't feel it right to force anything down anyone's throat except for when it makes good sense to do so (using gitlab instead of github because gitlab also happens to host the ticket/issue tracker and we can self-host if needed).

We had a lot of drama a year ago, here we are a year later and now we're tap-dancing around the issue still. I would like to bury this. Use whatever tool you feel like using to get work done.

Most OpenMW devs are on Discord. It's convenient and we have a bridge to the #OpenMW channel on IRC too so that the two worlds can communicate. This is also how we work between github and gitlab with 2-way mirroring at the moment. What matters, to me, is that OpenMW remains FOSS and remains multi-platform, as an example of engineering excellence within the FOSS community.

To hammer one thing home though, the forums is still and always will be, the defacto way to communicate, ask technical questions, hammer out issues and drive OpenMW development. So even if Discord fails (for whatever reason), we're not reliant on it and we're still here. :)
Ace (SWE)

Post by Ace (SWE) »

And I'm sitting here and hoping that OpenMW will migrate more towards native Matrix or something similar.

I don't have anything against Discord the system, though Discord the client has been nothing but trouble for me. Notifications in particular. I can't count the number of times where it's skipped sending out notifications for important messages on there, and the time where it's actively sent me notifications for things that I've explicitly muted from it.

I'm fine with people using what they wish to use though, as long as communication is still possible I'm all for it.
Though I certainly wouldn't complain if OpenMW were to set up an official Matrix community and a series of rooms using the excellent native Discord and IRC bridges. After all, nothing quite beats proper two-way account puppeting when it comes to bridging protocols.
raevol

Post by raevol »

I'm down for some Matrix, but I'm also just happy to go where the people are. I've tried to force protocol adoption before, to little success.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Neat, I didn't know about this until now: https://about.riot.im/

It looks like Riot is a FOSS Discord clone built upon Matrix. I like. If someone would like to champion this, I would support it.
lysol

Post by lysol »

This sounds awesome. I'd donate to a server on that platform.