Head bobbing

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Stomy

Re: Head bobbing

Post by Stomy »

wareya wrote: 25 May 2019, 20:31 Oh, so the amplitude of the bobbing fades out?
Yes, from about 400 (Edit: it's 256) move speed (the calculated movement speed, not the Speed attribute) it begins to peter out, reaching half amplitude at double that speed and then asymptotically approaching zero the faster you move.
wareya wrote: 25 May 2019, 20:31 having everything onscreen flicker back and forth randomly
As a result of the above, this isn't random, it ends up being more of a visual vibration, no worse than what your weapon hand will already be doing at those speeds, and less extreme than switching to third person where the animation itself moves the camera left and right at a fixed rate.

What I will do though is make the peak amplitude speed configurable, so if 400 is still too much (or not enough) everyone can adjust it themselves to whatever value they want.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Didn't think I would like this, but it actually looks great. Makes the game look a lot more modern somehow. Plz merge nao!
fraang

Post by fraang »

Wow! Looks awesome! :D
Strela99

Post by Strela99 »

So I wasn't crazy, it's actually a good idea! Although I agree on the fact that it should be disabled as per standard settings, for people who could feel sick.
Feiros

Post by Feiros »

Stomy wrote: 25 May 2019, 11:42 I'm pretty happy with it now, what do all of you think?
It feels like there is person behind the view instead of a camera drone. I can't imaging playing without it. Great work!
kust

Post by kust »

It looks so good, especially that hand sway. Why isn't it merged yet? I'm so excited for this feature.
charlieg

Post by charlieg »

kust wrote: 18 Aug 2019, 19:49 It looks so good, especially that hand sway. Why isn't it merged yet? I'm so excited for this feature.
So subtle yet so effective.
Strela99 wrote: 29 May 2019, 17:29 So I wasn't crazy, it's actually a good idea! Although I agree on the fact that it should be disabled as per standard settings, for people who could feel sick.
At some point the project should make a decision on whether the priority is to deliver a vanilla experience, warts and all, or to deliver a better experience. Perhaps that choice should be presented to the player (e.g. when launching the game). Relying on players to discover all these mods themselves is a good way to bury them or have a lot of people miss out.

Perhaps it's time to develop the 'OpenMW vanilla' experience, which makes common sense improvements (like this one) over the original.