Shield Like Oblivion?

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
TryingToLive

Shield Like Oblivion?

Post by TryingToLive »

Will this version of morrowind eventually have the ability to use the shield like Oblivion? And also attack like oblivion (not always miss)

Would also be nice to have new abilities like shield bashing and kicking. (not the stupid jump up in air and kick people, like some mods do in oblivion) but more like the FPS game from Might & Magic.

Infact it would just be sweet to make the game have similar combat moves like Might & Magic. Like rage buildup and you can hack people in half and stuff.
raevol

Re: Shield Like Oblivion?

Post by raevol »

Our initial goal for this project is to recreate Morrowind just like the original release, so it wouldn't have those features. But once we have achieved that goal, the engine is open source, and any additional features that people want to add can find their way in! I know a few people have been wanting to re-work the skill and experience system, so something like this is definitely conceivable.
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

In regards to the weapon hitting like in Oblivion, there is at least one mod already(probably more than one) that makes it so you cant miss.
In regards to shield bashing, I will make a thread.
ezzetabi

Post by ezzetabi »

I always wondered about this... One way (morrowind) or the other (Oblivion) aren't the same?

I mean, statistically there is an average damage per hit. If you always hit, but do less damage it might be the same of hitting rarely and doing more damage...
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

I think that hitting enemy who does not deffend himself (pary) should be trivial and more skilled fighter would deal more damage.

Like in fadding suns PnP rpg.
Necrod

Post by Necrod »

Simple making player hit every time would just get game out of balance of course, it will require lot of time to completely rework the combat system...
Someone will do it though
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

ezzetabi wrote:I always wondered about this... One way (morrowind) or the other (Oblivion) aren't the same?

I mean, statistically there is an average damage per hit. If you always hit, but do less damage it might be the same of hitting rarely and doing more damage...
That's intuitive, but I don't think it's possible to say for sure since there are too many variables - not just in terms of formulas, but also depending on the style the game is played (People can go in swinging wildly or patiently wait for the opponent to make a move).

Either way, it's mostly a psychological aspect.
Necrod wrote:Simple making player hit every time would just get game out of balance of course
And it would make a buttload of skills absolutely useless. Are you at level 4 blunt? That's okay, you'll club the guy over the head anyway as much as a level 50 will. Skill level only decides if you will hit, not how much damage you do: Dealt Damage = (Weapon Damage * Weapon Damage) / (Weapon Damage + Opponent Armor Rating).
ezzetabi

Post by ezzetabi »

I think it is intended that the formula must be changed so that the skill level change the damage dealt....
Necrod

Post by Necrod »

Oh god, after all this I don't even know if I want combat to change :D
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

Hitting happens wth a certain amount of chance. Instead of chance to hit, you simply take that and make it damage percentage, so if you hit 10% of the time normally, you would instead hit every time but do 10% of the damage.