Unlimited Light Sources with Clustered Forward Shading

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
AnyOldName3

Re: Unlimited Light Sources with Clustered Forward Shading

Post by AnyOldName3 » 11 Mar 2019, 14:53

To make OpenMW use all lights for everything, the quick thing to do would be to make the light list callback just enable every light and then tweak the shader so it can accept that many lights. It won't quite be the tidiest thing in the world and there'd be some redundant work, but it would be enough to get a ballpark estimate of whether implementing anything fancy and scaleable is worthwhile.
AnyOldName3, Master of Shadows

CMAugust

Post by CMAugust » 12 Mar 2019, 13:45

Yeah all I had tried in the past was set MAX_LIGHTS in the shader to a high number and obviously nothing good happened. It figures there's some hardcoded stuff to tweak as well.

AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 » 12 Mar 2019, 14:31

The shader ignores any lights it's told to use beyond that number, but that doesn't mean the engine is bothering to tell it to use any other lights.

It might be a case of tweaking a couple of lines in the light manager, or it might involve moving away from glLight to a custom uniform depending on the maximum fixed function light count of modern GPUs.

CMAugust

Post by CMAugust » 12 Jun 2019, 01:58

3-month check-in: I'm still interested in updating this thread with examples of clustered shading in the wild as they're found, but there's also the matter of the suggested test using basic forward rendering. Any news on when or if this ballpark estimate can be conducted? I simply don't have the expertise to make the necessary code tweaks, whatever they may be.

AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 » 12 Jun 2019, 14:32

It's all still on my to-do list.

With the amount of time it's taking to get around to stuff, it might genuinely be worth your while to learn some OpenGL if you haven't already. I know I've mentioned that before.