"Global" Scripts

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Wolvman

"Global" Scripts

Post by Wolvman »

Hello all,

I was wondering if a feature has yet been added to allow scripts that globally attach to and affect all NPCs/Creatures/Objects/etc. as they spawn in? I'm really wanting to look into re-creating my combat mod, Gratuitous Violence, for OpenMW but it heavily relies on MWSE to seek out and attach certain scripts on each actor as they spawn in around the PC. The script allows the PC to control hit chance, magicka regeneration rate, new combat sounds, etc. on a global scale via a menu.

Doing a quick search through the forums for the first time in forever shows me just how anti-MWSE the OpenMW team has grown since I was last here, so I'm wondering if there are any alternative solutions available. The MWSE method allowed multiple scripts to be added to each actor without causing mod conflicts or having to manually go through and place the script on each one via the editor. Is that possible to achieve with OpenMW, even if by some other means? I honestly wouldn't even mind completely re-writing the mod from scratch if I knew that the features could be mimicked accurately.

Related, is there anyway for the player to record key presses in OpenMW via scripting? GV is again reliant on this for allowing the player to Sprint, Dodge, Block, etc. Pressing the key after the player assigns it via the menu activates a script that increases certain stats such as speed as long as the key is being held down.

Thank you for any help you can provide.
Last edited by Wolvman on 01 Feb 2019, 19:24, edited 1 time in total.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: "Global" Scripts

Post by psi29a »

Wolvman wrote: 01 Feb 2019, 18:16 Doing a quick search through the forums for the first time in forever shows me just how anti-MWSE the OpenMW team has grown since I was last here, so I'm wondering if there are any alternative solutions available.
If that is your take away, we apologize. Nothing could be further from the truth. We have a healthy relationship with MWSE and their developers. OpenMW currently has its attention focused in another direction, like a stable near vanilla Morrowind experience. After that however, we do want to close the gap with MWSE, preferably working together.

One of the things that will help with this is our eventual switch to a Lua based scripting system, leaving mwscript compatibility only for Morrowind content. This helps because Lua is the basis of MWSE right now. We can develop new syntax together as a result.

That being said, there will always be differences due to the nature of the underlying engine.

I know this doesn't directly answer your question, but I thought we should clear out stance in regard to MWSE. I hope someone else here will be able to give you an answer to your question.
Wolvman

Post by Wolvman »

Thank you for the response. It sounds like I'll need to wait a bit more for the LUA system to be put in-place before I can move my mods over.
silentthief

Post by silentthief »

Not a dev, but yeah, there currently is no implemented way to do this. You could check with davidcernat (dev actively supporting TES3MP - which integrates LUA) to see if there is a way to do key reading/binding in a way that may work for what you have in mind

ST