Fan Art/ Mod Showcase Loading Screens

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
ElderTroll

Fan Art/ Mod Showcase Loading Screens

Post by ElderTroll »

I have a simple idea that we add to vanilla morrowind's screen loading images, a series of fan art pieces such as those we have up on our website and the youtube page. Most of the artists would be flattered and it would give the player a "for fans, by fans" feel. We could add the artist's and piece's name. Heck, folks might start making more fan art if they knew it could be included in our future releases.

We could add images showcasing famous mods with a sentence or two about what they do, as a way to give a shout-out to other projects.

While the wide variety of loading screens might have an "uneven" feel, I would be really cool with it. This idea makes more sense as a mod/image replacer, but it would be great if it was included in the OpenMW installation.
ezzetabi

Re: Fan Art/ Mod Showcase Loading Screens

Post by ezzetabi »

While logic and intelligence would tell you are right. What happened with the Morrowind 2011 project makes me me afraid of such idea.
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

You mean tha project where the guy didnt bother asking for permission from anyone?

As long as people are notified and agree to have their art used, its completely fine.
ezzetabi

Post by ezzetabi »

The point is that the authors did not feel flattered. It is a long and boring discussion about freedom (in both senses) that I would like to avoid. If we have to ask, then I think it is better using vanilla.

If the project will have half of the success it deserves artists will ask openmw to use their stuff.
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

ezzetabi wrote:The point is that the authors did not feel flattered. It is a long and boring discussion about freedom (in both senses) that I would like to avoid. If we have to ask, then I think it is better using vanilla.

If the project will have half of the success it deserves artists will ask openmw to use their stuff.
Unless explicitly stated, you always have to ask. The only worry is that someone suddenly decides they dont want anyone using their stuff after they gave permission. As far as I know, that has only ever happened once in the MW modding community.
ezzetabi

Post by ezzetabi »

What I am trying to say, that the ``default'' is wrong. So our reaction should be a passive one and we should not change the vanilla pictures. Just my 2 cents.

Maybe one day the OpenMW team will have artists, in that case it will be different. Anyhow I think it is up to Zini and Co. decide.