Oblivion Support - What would need to be done?

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
IgnisUmbra

Oblivion Support - What would need to be done?

Post by IgnisUmbra »

Now that OpenMW is fully playable ( I defeated Dagoth Ur last night, so fun times! ) I'm looking into what would be necessary to update OpenMW to import oblivion assets, quests etc.

Here's what I've studied thus far:

Oblivion's quest engine and scripting are entirely different from Morrowind, so that would need to be written from scratch

Oblivion uses Havok, which while Bullet offers equivalency in many areas, there would be a lot of physics to improve

Oblivion's meshes and texturing are more advanced. Additionally, unlike Morrowind it supports pixel shading and several other advanced methods.

All in all, a monumental task, plus everything I've not mentioned here.

Here's my thoughts:

Some developers frequenting this forum can comment on the dependency order for this work to get started.

Once we have that, we can open Github issues and link them to a bounty system, and people can offer money for this (I personally would offer a few hundred bucks off the bat for some of these bounties) to attract the development work.

The main motivations are that Oblivion in my experience is the buggiest of the main trio of full 3D TES games, and as a result it's a pain in the ass to play, even un-modded. I know there's other people here who I'm sure are interested.

For reference, I'm not a developer, at least not /this/ kind of developer. I mostly deal with network coding and development for routers. I would not be able to do any of these tasks, but finding people who can would probably be easy, the bounty would be a big motivator.
Chris

Re: Oblivion Support - What would need to be done?

Post by Chris »

IgnisUmbra wrote: 05 Oct 2018, 21:16 Oblivion's quest engine and scripting are entirely different from Morrowind, so that would need to be written from scratch
Actually they aren't. There were some improvements (e.g. scripts can set and alter the interval between invocations, instead of every frame, and they can be attached to spell effects), but quests and scripts in Oblivion work very similarly to Morrowind. Skyrim is where these things really changed.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

A lot of this has been discussed in the last couple of days in the OpenNuka thread, so you may want to skim read that.
IgnisUmbra

Post by IgnisUmbra »

Cool, I didn't realize that thank you for that.

I guess this can be merged.