Water shaders, OpenMW vs MGEXE

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
kuyondo

Water shaders, OpenMW vs MGEXE

Post by kuyondo »

OpenMW
MGEXE
akortunov

Re: Water shaders, OpenMW vs MGEXE

Post by akortunov »

And? What kind of conclusion should we do?
As for me, shaders looks pretty similar on these screenshots.
Only differences I see:
1. MGE has a bloom.
2. Water color is different a bit because of sky reflection.
wareya

Post by wareya »

They're comparing the more-transparency-near-shores that MGEXE has. It's a nice feature. OpenMW doesn't have it right now.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

I'm pretty sure the depth of the water is used for something already (as at the very least it's something that needs to be known to get refraction right. If the effect isn't there, we do already have all the data we need to implement it.
drummyfish

Post by drummyfish »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 12 Jul 2018, 12:15 I'm pretty sure the depth of the water is used for something already (as at the very least it's something that needs to be known to get refraction right. If the effect isn't there, we do already have all the data we need to implement it.
Yep, we already have the depth data. We're currently discussing the water shader improvements at GitLab, will add this feature.
drummyfish

Post by drummyfish »

quick test:

Code: Select all

diff --git a/files/shaders/water_fragment.glsl b/files/shaders/water_fragment.glsl
index 7511375..4025c1c 100644
--- a/files/shaders/water_fragment.glsl
+++ b/files/shaders/water_fragment.glsl
@@ -253,10 +253,10 @@ void main(void)

// refraction
 #if REFRACTION
-    vec3 refraction = texture2D(refractionMap, screenCoords - screenCoordsOffset).rgb;
+    vec3 underwater = texture2D(refractionMap, screenCoords - screenCoordsOffset).rgb;

// brighten up the refraction underwater
-    refraction = (cameraPos.z < 0.0) ? clamp(refraction * 1.5, 0.0, 1.0) : refraction;
+    vec3 refraction = (cameraPos.z < 0.0) ? clamp(underwater * 1.5, 0.0, 1.0) : underwater;
 #endif
     // specular
     vec3 R = reflect(vVec, normal);
@@ -269,7 +269,11 @@ void main(void)
     if (cameraPos.z > 0.0)
         refraction = mix(refraction, waterColor, clamp(depthSampleDistorted/VISIBILITY, 0.0, 1.0));

-    gl_FragData[0].xyz = mix( mix(refraction,  scatterColour,  lightScatter),  reflection,  fresnel) + specular * gl_LightSource[0].specular.xyz;
+    vec3 output = mix( mix(refraction,  scatterColour,  lightScatter),  reflection,  fresnel) + specular * gl_LightSource[0].specular.xyz;
+    output = mix( underwater, output, pow(shore,10));
+
+    gl_FragData[0].xyz = output;
+
 #else
     gl_FragData[0].xyz = mix(reflection,  waterColor,  (1.0-fresnel)*0.5) + specular * gl_LightSource[0].specular.xyz;
 #endif
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Nice work!

I also noticed something where water can look 'wavey' when it gets close to the shore... pulling back and coming ashore. I'm assuming this is a trick of the shader where parts goes invisible when coming into contact with a low-grade sloop. Maybe I got that wrong and there is in fact 'volume' to the shader or water plane where it ungulates.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

I think the transparency effect there is way too strong. IRL, it's easy to see where the water starts and the ground stops, but in those screenshots, it isn't.
drummyfish

Post by drummyfish »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 12 Jul 2018, 15:48 I think the transparency effect there is way too strong. IRL, it's easy to see where the water starts and the ground stops, but in those screenshots, it isn't.
I agree, however I noticed that this is how it's usually done in games, e.g. 0 A. D.:

It's probably considered looking nicer than the sharp edges, even if not % 100 realistic. It could be made less prominent though (by changing the pow parameter).

Also this effect is only possible with refractions enabled. Without refractions the water is rendered differently, there is no depth information, it's just a plane with alpha blending.
MiroslavXO

Post by MiroslavXO »

I really dislike normal map for OpenMW version, waves look better in MGEXE.