Water shaders, OpenMW vs MGEXE

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Atahualpa

Re: Water shaders, OpenMW vs MGEXE

Post by Atahualpa »

@kuyondo: Just wanted to add that this is "Enhanced Water Shader for MGE XE" (latest update from 2018/08/04). Looks quite good, except for the last image. On the mod page, there are a few more images, most of them looking not so good IMO (the Vivec, ocean, rain, and swampy river images). We should be able to come up with something even more impressing in the future.
wareya

Post by wareya »

The last image is actually the most impressive one IMO.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

wareya wrote: 06 Aug 2018, 20:03 The last image is actually the most impressive one IMO.
Technically, yes. It's the colouring that looks a bit odd to me. Kudos to the mod author anyway.
Last edited by Atahualpa on 06 Aug 2018, 20:34, edited 1 time in total.
wareya

Post by wareya »

To me the coloring looks extremely good.
CMAugust

Post by CMAugust »

That looks outstanding. I've wanted to see a water cut feature like the last image for years. It's a shame that comparatively OpenMW still doesn't attract many shader developers, but I suppose anything can happen in the next few years.
mistermoonshine

Post by mistermoonshine »

If OpenMW were to have a shader like that i hope it would run well, I play with the current water shader disabled because it tanks the framerate.
wareya

Post by wareya »

The current water shader tanks the framerate because of the scene reconfiguration for the reflections, not because of the actual shading math. I have a PR that adds more fine-grained reflection options but it's going to conflict with shadows so it's on hold.
lysol

Post by lysol »

That water shader for MGE looks crazy good. And I agree, especially the last image.
Sagacity

Post by Sagacity »

If anyone is up to the task, the water vertex and fragment shaders are exposed in the base OpenMW file structure, you could theoretically port the other shaders to OpenMW. I don't know if it's 100% possible, but the shader format used by OpenMW should be equivalently capable, if not more, to MGE. Of course, I've not tried so I don't know.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Lots of the water's goodness in the vanilla engine is due to the shaders being fed other data that OpenMW isn't feeding its shader. There are improvements to be made that can be done in the shader itself, but to replicate vanilla or most MGE XE shaders perfectly, you'd need a chunk of extra work on the engine side.