A Variety of Suggestions

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
erretel

A Variety of Suggestions

Post by erretel »

I've been replaying Morrowind and I do have few suggestions.

1- In vanilla the inventory is separated into [All] [Weapons] [Apparel] [Magic] [Misc]. I wish there were more categories, namely [Books] [Scroll] [Potions] [Ingredients] [Tools] [Keys]. Also allow to select multiple categories by pressing 'Shift' while clicking on one.

2- In vanilla it's possible to place custom notes on the map. This function is pretty much useless because those notes do not appear on the global map. Please do change that.

3- The editor offer very little in term of modifying spell effects. I've read the 1.0 documentation and what it's written there is good, but I think it would be beneficial if the modders were also allowed to modify the cost multiplier for the duration, for the area and for the type (self, touch, target). Also allow modders to set different values for effects as spells, as enchantments and as ingredients.

4- Allow modders to be able to set any number of effects on ingredients, also allow them to modify individually the intensity of the effects both as a potion and as an ingredient eaten raw.

5- Allow Objects to have any number of scripts attached to them.

6- Allow modders to modify the relationship between various factions. Members of ALLIED factions will help each other in combat, NEUTRAL factions will ignore each other in combat, ENEMY factions will attack on sight each other. (Is this already possible to do?)

7- I might have missed it in the 1.0 document, but replace the various 'summon' spell effects in a single, generic 'summon' spell effect, while allowing modders to choose any creature or NPC as a variable, while allowing players to do the same limited to the summons they know, e.g. is somoene only know "summon scamp" he should only be able to choose 'scamp' when creating a custom summon spell. Do the same for 'bound' spell effects. Also this sound harder to implement that I initially thought.

8- I'm more than aware how hard it would be, but are there any plans (or even just interest) for implementing modern physics?
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: A Variety of Suggestions

Post by psi29a »

erretel wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 17:35 8- I'm more than aware how hard it would be, but are there any plans (or even just interest) for implementing modern physics?
If by modern physics, you mean havok physics (Skyrim/Fallout) and ragdoll (Oblivion/havok subset)... eventually.
Have a look at cc9cii's work:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AfYltej0qI
kuyondo

Post by kuyondo »

In my opinion, only no.2 can be implemented pre 1.0. No.1 should be easy enough to implement but only post1.0.

The morrowind community seemed to be divided between graphics, mechanics and modding potential. I'd prefer modding potential over the rest especially the scripting part of the engine.
raevol

Post by raevol »

erretel wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 17:35 2- In vanilla it's possible to place custom notes on the map. This function is pretty much useless because those notes do not appear on the global map. Please do change that.
To know knowledge, notes work in OpenMW the same way they do in Vanilla, I've been using them since that was implemented in OpenMW. If you can show a use case where they don't behave the same, please document it for us.
erretel

Post by erretel »

Thant's cool.
raevol wrote: 06 Jul 2018, 04:23 To know knowledge, notes work in OpenMW the same way they do in Vanilla, I've been using them since that was implemented in OpenMW. If you can show a use case where they don't behave the same, please document it for us.
You're not wrong, it's just that I'm convinced that the notes would be 1000% more useful if they also would show up on the world map. I guess it could be a post 1.0 thing.
xirsoi

Post by xirsoi »

kuyondo wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 18:49 In my opinion, only no.2 can be implemented pre 1.0. No.1 should be easy enough to implement but only post1.0.

The morrowind community seemed to be divided between graphics, mechanics and modding potential. I'd prefer modding potential over the rest especially the scripting part of the engine.
Quality of Life features (1 and 2 in the OP) are pretty important too.