New Font Implementation

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Zoran

New Font Implementation

Post by Zoran »

Morrowind uses bitmap font, and OpenMW engine has replicated that, but I would like to see OpenMW to have Morrowind font compatible with standard font formats. I really don't like vanilla font, and all the other bitmap font replacers that I found.
Thunderforge

Re: New Font Implementation

Post by Thunderforge »

There are two TrueType fonts available that replace the original fonts; one for the standard text and one for Daedric. Is that what you're looking for?
Ravenwing

Post by Ravenwing »

Thunderforge wrote: 17 Jun 2018, 22:36 There are two TrueType fonts available that replace the original fonts; one for the standard text and one for Daedric. Is that what you're looking for?
I thought that OpenMW doesn't currently use them properly. Doesn't OpenMW generate bitmaps from those TT fonts. I remember it being a problem with GUI scaling because it generates the standard size as bitmaps and then scales the bitmaps, negating the point of TT being vectors.
drummyfish

Post by drummyfish »

Ravenwing wrote: 18 Jun 2018, 04:29 I thought that OpenMW doesn't currently use them properly. Doesn't OpenMW generate bitmaps from those TT fonts. I remember it being a problem with GUI scaling because it generates the standard size as bitmaps and then scales the bitmaps, negating the point of TT being vectors.
Yes, see this.
wareya

Post by wareya »

To clarify, almost all well-performing programs pre-rasterize vector fonts before using them. It's just that OpenMW currently does it at the unscaled resolution then scales them up instead of using the eventual resolution in the first place.
Zoran

Post by Zoran »

So how can I use for example Open Sans font in OpenMW? If I can, can someone write me a technical instruction how to do it or point me in the right direction?
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

I thought this was written up in the wiki somewhere? https://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title=Fonts

This should eventually be migrated to our docs section so it can be rendered on RTD. (TODO/HELP)

Anyway, in your resources directory there should be a xml file, in that file you can change the font out to your ttf of your choice. The ttf file has to be in the resources directory too. This is what we do with our OpenMW-Template and OpenMW-Example suite... which we _really_ would love people to help work on. Getting OpenMW on it's own two feet, installable and playable out of the box without Morrowind is a goal of ours.
pvdk

Post by pvdk »

I would really like it if we could just ship the .ttf/otf fonts, and have the user choose between those or bitmap. That way I can use them in the launcher too, for skinning purposes etc. T'was the reason I asked for the Ayembedt font in the first place, have a properly licensed version so we could ship it.
Zoran

Post by Zoran »

psi29a wrote: 18 Jun 2018, 09:29 I thought this was written up in the wiki somewhere? https://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title=Fonts

This should eventually be migrated to our docs section so it can be rendered on RTD. (TODO/HELP)

Anyway, in your resources directory there should be a xml file, in that file you can change the font out to your ttf of your choice. The ttf file has to be in the resources directory too. This is what we do with our OpenMW-Template and OpenMW-Example suite... which we _really_ would love people to help work on. Getting OpenMW on it's own two feet, installable and playable out of the box without Morrowind is a goal of ours.
Thank you very much for your answer. I will try to change the font on my OpenMW installation.
akortunov

Post by akortunov »