Version Code Names

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
ElderTroll

Version Code Names

Post by ElderTroll »

C'mon this would be simple and fun. Meridia is an obscure Daedric Prince often associated with the energies of living things. Seems fitting for the release that has npc animations. We could retroactively apply codenames to the previous releases or we could start now and use them going forward. I also suggest that 1.0 be called Anu who is one of the two primordial energies. He embodies stability.

What are your ideas for names? We could have a vote to decide.
sirherrbatka

Re: Version Code Names

Post by sirherrbatka »

We decided to quit codenames. It would be silly to go back to them now.
ElderTroll

Post by ElderTroll »

What about when we get to beta and more end users are playing through it?
Zini

Post by Zini »

Honestly can't see the point of code names.
Yacoby

Post by Yacoby »

Zini wrote:Honestly can't see the point of code names.
They make new users more confused about what version they are running as you can't meaningfully order them?
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Funny release names in the blog, but people should be using the version number anyway.

Ubuntu uses them just for a laugh, everyone that is serious just uses the time-cycle (11.04) nomenclature.
Zini

Post by Zini »

They make new users more confused about what version they are running as you can't meaningfully order them?
Funny. But true.
ElderTroll

Post by ElderTroll »

Alright, I don't want to confuse folks. I think code names are fun and I usually know the latest iteration of an os or hardware by codename first and then version number.
gus

Post by gus »

It's a little off topic, but maybe we should change versions numbers: i mean, if we continue like this, we will have a jump from openmw 0.19 to openmw 1.0, it's kind of strange :mrgreen:

Furthermore, many people (including me) when they see a version number which is < 0.8, the think "very very far from being finished"^^
raevol

Post by raevol »

gus wrote:It's a little off topic, but maybe we should change versions numbers: i mean, if we continue like this, we will have a jump from openmw 0.19 to openmw 1.0, it's kind of strange :mrgreen:

Furthermore, many people (including me) when they see a version number which is < 0.8, the think "very very far from being finished"^^
We are "very very far from being finished". We have had a ton of progress lately, but there's still a ton more to be done. We need to keep the version number reasonably low, so that we have room for a lot more releases.