Errors in OpenCS seem not like Errors to me

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Greendogo

Errors in OpenCS seem not like Errors to me

Post by Greendogo »

When running "Verify" on the Morrowind/Tribunal/Bloodmoon base game, a lot of "Errors" (and Warnings) pop up.

Very few of these things are clearly not "Errors" as errors are defined. They may be unexpected by the CS, but I believe that's just an oversight by the person who wrote the "Verify" code.

Some examples:
  • light_com_torch_burnedout_01 has a duration of 0, which is intended.
  • Several classes have empty descriptions. This sounds to me like they weren't going to explain their class to you, so the devs didn't see the point in writing a description. Again, this seems intended. Other objects without description seem like a similar situation to me.
It might be better to label more things as Warnings or to have another indicator besides "Error" and "Warning".

Side note:
On sounds such as MournDayAmb that have a minimum range larger than their maximum range, the Error description says: "Maximum range larger than minimum range" when it should be the other way around.
Thunderforge

Re: Errors in OpenCS seem not like Errors to me

Post by Thunderforge »

Probably the best thing to do is file a bug report/feature request for each of these issues so that they don’t get lost here in the forum.
akortunov

Post by akortunov »

IIRC, OpenMW-CS complains about empty class description in upstream master only if the class is playable (visible by player).
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

It does now. My initial PR was actually a response to Greendogo's post, everything said here is fixed.